NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  EmptyToday at 7:38 by Ev

» Cornwall Collection d836 Contemporary Ceramics
For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  EmptyYesterday at 13:12 by Ev

» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  EmptySat 27 Apr 2024 - 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024 - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024 - 6:50 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  EmptySat 20 Apr 2024 - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  EmptySat 20 Apr 2024 - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  EmptyFri 19 Apr 2024 - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  EmptyFri 19 Apr 2024 - 10:25 by Ev

For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website

Go down

For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  Empty For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website

Post  Maryr Tue 3 Dec 2019 - 8:25

I am so happy to see a Kevin Kilsby gallery... I went to see him a couple of weeks ago and I was most impressed by the range of his work. I was familiar with the colourful cartoon ware which he is best known for, but he is also an art potter.  He began potting in the late 1980s, but his lovely art pieces didn't make a living.  He discovered that there was a market for his bright cheery cartoon-style ware, so that is what he has concentrated on for the past couple of decades. He told me that his pukekos are by far his most consistent seller, also he has made cartoon cat ware for decades. He employs various artists and slipcasters to help him keep up with production.
These days he is slowing down a bit and has rediscovered a love of nature - his new work is all about leaves and fish. I will post a few pics when I have his permission, or meanwhile you can look on his website.

http://kilsby.co.nz/

Here are some pics I took in his house.  They are things he has made over the years.

For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  Kilsby10
Below is a Studio Ceramics blank which he decorated 'because I wanted a jug' - I so respect that talent!
For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  Kilsby11
For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  Kilsby12

Below a couple of his early art pieces
For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  Kilsby14For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  Kilsby15

This is his first successful commercial pattern, called 'Grapes and Oranges' because that is what it depicts.
For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  Kilsby13
This is an image from NZ Potter volume 30, 1988. Not long after he started out as a potter.
For gallery Kevin Kilsby + a link to his website  Kilsby16
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1976
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum