NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» 154 Swan mould from Crown Lynn
Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases EmptyWed 15 May - 20:38 by ro

» Jack Krsinich - Foxton Beach
Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases EmptyWed 15 May - 17:09 by ANNA KRSINICH

» Adrienne Smith
Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases EmptyWed 15 May - 7:45 by UrsulaC

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases EmptyTue 14 May - 16:25 by signal red

» Tea pot ID help please. This was made by David Griffith
Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases EmptyTue 14 May - 8:48 by CrownPrince

» LARGE POTTERY WALL HANGING VESSEL - was made by John Ing
Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases EmptyMon 13 May - 22:24 by Leesyloubee

» HELP TO ID MAKER MARK - WALL HANGING VESSEL it is Stephen Carter
Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases EmptyMon 13 May - 22:23 by Leesyloubee

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases EmptyMon 13 May - 12:03 by Maryr

» Orange Air NZ pattern no namer
Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases EmptyMon 13 May - 11:06 by Ev

Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases

3 posters

Go down

Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases Empty Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases

Post  Maryr Thu 10 Oct - 12:54

These two ceramic vases in metal mesh ware are both Salisbury, I believe.

The one with the green leaves came to me from Kat and I have already posted it on this site.  
The other, with red feet, is new.  It is Crown Lynn shape 570, I think.  
The one with green leaves looks as though the ceramic vase came from another maker, it has no number and the feet on the ceramic piece are very different.
Dimensions of 'green leaf' vase are L 20cm, W 9 cm, Height 8.5
Dimensions of 'red feet" vase are L 18 cm, W 12.5, H 4.5.  It has the classic brick finish on the sides

Again, I hope Oakpot is watching!

Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases 10-sal10

Below I show the bases of both vases. The vase with the green leaves is on the left; Crown Lynn 570 on the right.
Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases 11-sai10

Below, close-up of base of green leaf vase, maker unknown.
Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases 14-sal10

Below close up of base of Crown Lynn 570, the 'red feet' vase  
Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases 15-sal10

And these are little Crown Lynn vases decorated by Salisbury. Sadly the paint and transfers are beginning to peel - and don't get me started on opshops who use STICKY TAPE on our precious heritage. (and then charge $10 per vase grrr.)
Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases 51-sal10
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases Empty Re: Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases

Post  Ev Thu 10 Oct - 18:00

Sticking my neck out to be cut off at the knees, but I would swear that the one on the right is Sherwood. I have touched this and felt the weight and it was so close to being Crown Lynn, that I had to say it was Sherwood.
C'mon oakpot .................................please.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17753
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases Empty Re: Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases

Post  oakpot Tue 15 Oct - 16:10

Hi Maryr
The perforated mesh holder with the green leaves is a Royal Oak product.
The expanded mesh holder with the red feet is not a Royal 0ak product the origin is unknown.

oakpot

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2016-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Tue 15 Oct - 16:45

Thank you Oakpot. I wonder who else made that mesh ware.... the vase inside is Crown Lynn so I guess it's New Zealad. One of life's many mysteries.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Salisbury/Royal Oak scrollware and vases Empty Question for Oakpot please

Post  Maryr Wed 16 Oct - 13:52

Hi Oakpot, I have a question!
As noted by Ev, I made a mistake in a previous entry. This is what I meant to ask:

The Salisbury perforated mesh ware with the green leaves contains a vase which is not Crown Lynn.
Oakpot, do you know who made it? Ev suggests it is Sherwood.
Is that correct?

Thanks again
ValM
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  oakpot Wed 16 Oct - 19:45

Hi ValM
Any vase that is matched with a mesh holder with leaves ,had been manufactured by Crown Lynn, beginning 1955 +.
That is long after Sherwood had closed.
Thanks Oakpot.

oakpot

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Wed 27 Nov - 7:11

For the record:

I have been reading Gail Henry NZ Pottery Commercial and Collectable. On page 149 she mentions that Cameron Brown Snr told her that in the early days (late 1940s) they made pots for Salisbury. This we already know.

BUT she adds that Cam Snr told her this: Sherwood also made pots "for Rowley Crowther, a firm that made decorateive wire work. The wares (made by Sherwood) were designed to fit inside a variety of wire containers."

To my knowledge Oakpot has not mentioned Rowley Crowther. He has told us that their meshwork/wirework was made by Frank Hunt in Ponsonby, and spray painted by Burns Dephoff.

So this might explain why we have some mesh work that Oakpot doesn't recognise as Salisbury.

Let's see if Oakpot has any thoughts!
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  oakpot Thu 28 Nov - 19:53

Hi Maryr,
Only the leaves on the mesh holder were made by Frank Hunt in Ponsonby, Burns Dephoff spray painted for Royal Oak during 1956,57.

All other wrought iron and metal ware was manufactured by our sister company,Royal Oak Scroll Ware Ltd,situated in Onehunga.

All the mesh ware.eg shadow boxes and planters were manufactured by Ted Bowrey Ltd also in Onehunga.

The larger wrought iron,metal work,shadow boxes and planters were delivered to large spray paint companies at Mount Roskill and Penrose,to be painted in Hi Bake Enamel white.

The bisque ware, purchased from Crown Lynn was decorated at the Royal Oak Factory,firstly at 714 Mount Albert Road,then after our major fire at 697 Manukau Road Royal Oak. All orders were dispatched from the Royal Oak Pottery Premises.

Rowley Crowther was a noted speed way driver at Western Springs.He formed Lotus Manufacturing in 1947.From memory he manufactured shelving and furniture using expanded mesh. The mesh planter with the red feet could possibly be his work.

oakpot

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Fri 29 Nov - 15:30

Thank you Oakpot
This is valuable information
Have a lovely christmas
ValM
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum