NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Rancich/Silva Shape 58
Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper  EmptyYesterday at 14:46 by JanPots

» Glen Beattie
Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper  EmptyYesterday at 11:32 by Ev

» NOT a Sherwood Pottery Galleon, as Made in Japan
Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper  EmptyYesterday at 8:45 by Ev

» Minna Bondy
Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper  EmptySun 5 May - 7:29 by Ev

» Jan Gillespie
Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper  EmptyWed 1 May - 8:02 by Kat & Co.

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper  EmptyTue 30 Apr - 15:34 by Maryr

» Hamilton Boys High and Old Folks Assoc. Hamilton Badgeware
Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper  EmptyTue 30 Apr - 14:54 by JanPots

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper  EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:33 by signal red

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper  EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:22 by Ev

Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper

Go down

Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper  Empty Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper

Post  Maryr Sat 2 Sep - 14:26

Lovely Ernie Cooper, ex Crown Lynn, set up Terra Ceramics NZ.  Below is an email I received from him today.  

I was in Thirroul, south coast near Wollongong, yesterday and happened to pop into a second hand store and I found this piece “Comma plate” quite clearly early Terra Ceramics. It would have been produced in the Greenacre factory late 1950s early 1960s. Terra NZ never made this colour which is underglaze spray and clear glaze over the top. The mark underneath is a capital T with a small c through the vertical line of the T. It is followed by a 1, this would have been the fettler's mark. The piece is in excellent condition considering its age, no crazing at all. It's hard to see from the scan but the piece has been fired on stilts, the three stilt marks can be clearly seen, Terra NZ moved away from this type production early on in favour of a deeper foot which could be wiped clear of glaze. Hemara was the one who redesigned the moulds.

Ernie also sent me this reference site which gives a lot of the history in Oz and during the transition to NZ.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/1281707@N21/discuss/72157632555022506/

Here are the photos Ernie sent me of his 'comma plate'.
Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper  Oz_ter10Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper  Oz_ter11Terra Ceramics Australia from Ernie Cooper  Oz_ter12
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1977
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum