NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with potter ID please?
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle EmptySat 18 May - 11:33 by Pippa J

» Crown Lynn teapot shape 787 courtesy of Manos
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle EmptySat 18 May - 8:47 by Ev

» Critters d731
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle EmptyFri 17 May - 18:52 by JanPots

» Blue Daisy Spray Pattern
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle EmptyFri 17 May - 16:07 by Kat & Co.

» Oakley Lodge
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle EmptyFri 17 May - 15:50 by Kat & Co.

» 154 Swan mould from Crown Lynn
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle EmptyWed 15 May - 20:38 by ro

» Jack Krsinich - Foxton Beach
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle EmptyWed 15 May - 17:09 by ANNA KRSINICH

» Adrienne Smith
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle EmptyWed 15 May - 7:45 by UrsulaC

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle EmptyTue 14 May - 16:25 by signal red

Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle

2 posters

Go down

Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle Empty Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 14 Mar - 17:00

Trademe seller tuitua (Nicole) has listed a named Ambrico kettle, "The Windsor".

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1281093912

As I told Nicole in the questions, I have taken a great interest in Ambrico kettles and I do not recognise this one at all. I did prepare a topic (not posted) on kettles as I believe that most of those that look like Ambrico probably are, maybe about six different ones, with shape numbers extending upward from about 780 (with the numbers lost to substitutions in the early 1960s). This is not one of those and it looks to me from the photos that it is clear glazed, suggesting an early one.
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle Ambric12
photos by Nicole trading as tuitua, permission sought and received

Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle Ambric11
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle Empty Re: Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle

Post  Ev Tue 14 Mar - 18:22

Great spotting Jeremy. 
I have never heard of this one, though it isn't my number one topic in any way, I do see nearly everything that gets posted on the site.

The lid looks very familiar ...
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17755
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle Empty Re: Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 14 Mar - 21:08

Yes. All have the same lid.

Other makes have similar.

Later ...
Well I got that totally wrong!
This kettle has a nose shape (T) on top while the others just have fins.
Also it has an extra hole.
---------
24/3/17
The kettle arrived this morning. It is in even better condition than I thought.

The handle HAS been reaffixed, and it does have crazing and staining but the worst of the marks visible in the seller Nicole's photo is glue residue from the repair: it runs all round the shoulder on one side and all around the handle but cleans off easily with a knife.

It is complete and, apart from what has already been described, undamaged. Indeed it looks as though I could fill it, plug it in, turn it on, and boil some water. Not bad for a piece of pottery more than 70 years old.

I really think this is a museum piece and have mentioned giving it to Te Toi Uku but I want to have it around the house a bit yet. I will show Finn next weekend.

I will add more photos when I have tidied it up.

Just a bit later ...
The more I look the better it gets. As I sit down to lunch with the kettle in view I note that what I took to be staining is all in the glaze. It is a pale yellow pooling to blue.
And again ...
I think I'm done cleaning for now. Here're my pics so far.
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle Kettle14
all cleaned up except around the handle repairs
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle Kettle15
perhaps a little clearer than Nicole's but hers will stay in gallery
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle Kettle16
my two Ambrico kettles showing that the recent acquisition is taller, 21.5cm vs 20

a view from the top
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle Kettle18

The top view shows two completely different lids. The second hole in the lid of the Windsor is to hold a stop. The lid of the blue kettle, and every subsequent CL kettle, has a stop added on the underside (which I can't show you without a spy camera).
Note a small hole is visible in the bottom of the power socket, left kettle: this is a drain, to avoid water buildup and short circuit. Position of the drain hole varies from model to model.

Here's a montage of kettle shapes from the net.
I believe every one shown is Ambrico or Crown Lynn.
Ambrico Porcelain "The Windsor" electric kettle Kettle17

The top row of the righthand panel shows two similar designs with the only obvious differences being handle shape and decorative banding. I believe the right one, 778, is a remodeling of the left. Bottom left shows a collection of similar kettles in different sizes (plus a 782 shape in green).
Right panel middle row shows shape 782 at left, which appears to be a remodeling of The Windsor. At right is a similarly style kettle.
Right panel bottom row shows two further kettle shapes. At left is shape 785. The other looks like a Temuka kettle but it is not.

All these kettles are made in New Zealand and, with the exception of the Windsor, all have the same lid shape (see earlier picture), which is similar to (but different from) those of some Australian kettles, and an entirely different setup from Temuka kettles.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Melita likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum