NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Flower Beauty
My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase EmptyToday at 14:29 by 2mylot

» Look carefully and you will see a Crockery Peacock !!
My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase EmptyToday at 14:16 by Ev

» WANTED - Contemporary Ceramics Elvenhood cups
My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase EmptyYesterday at 17:31 by kiwinephew

» Gillian Pope
My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase EmptySat 25 May - 17:18 by Ev

» Royal Oak Salt and Pepper Tray
My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase EmptyThu 23 May - 7:31 by Ev

» Help with pottery ID
My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase EmptyWed 22 May - 21:14 by JanPots

» Help with pottery ID Please
My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase EmptyWed 22 May - 18:55 by JanPots

» Help with Pottery ID
My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase EmptyWed 22 May - 18:46 by JanPots

» Swan mould - Crown Lynn shape - maker unknown
My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase EmptyWed 22 May - 16:08 by Ev

My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase

4 posters

Go down

My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase Empty My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase

Post  Ev Wed 23 Mar - 17:17

I was meant to have this.
It is 7 inches high.
It has 3 small chips on the rim which expose the pale clay below.  
There is rubbing around the rim too.
It actually feels a bit heavy for it's size, but not too bad.
The outside has been covered with an iron oxide wash to about half way down and the inside is glazed as well as the lower half of the outside.
The lip edge is very sharp which accounts for the fritting as the slightest knock or tap would cause this to happen.
There are two lines about a third of the way down.
Oddly there are thin concentric throwing lines from about half way down on the outside and these can be felt as well as seen.  I have seen this same practice on old Crown Lynn Handpotted pieces at the Portage Museum as well as on pieces on this site.
There is some residue of white clay on the iron oxide slip just above half way which is puzzling as this seems to be in a line ....?
At the end I have added a photo of a known Dan Steenstra footring that Val posted today to compare with this base.  Thank you Val.

My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase Dscf2730

My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase Dscf2727

My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase Dscf2726

My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase Dscf2729

My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase Dscf2726

My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase Dscf2728My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase Steens10

Last edited by Ev on Sun 9 Aug - 10:23; edited 2 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17763
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase Empty Re: My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase

Post  Kat & Co. Wed 23 Mar - 17:57

Do you think Dan Steenstra made this 'Rhodes' vase Ev?
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2314
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase Empty Re: My first Steenstra Brick & Pipe clay vase

Post  Ev Wed 23 Mar - 18:09

I do wonder about that Kat.  His son Dom said that his father first started potting in New Zealand at Crum Potteries and then moved onto Crown Lynn.  This was in the early 1950's and I gather that Crum were part of Ambrico then and were beside Crown Lynn.  
According to Ernie Cooper Dan preferred to use the brick and pipe clay for public demonstrations and I wonder what he made with that clay in order for him to say that.......?
There is a finger mark on both of the bases of Ernie's and this pot that match quite spookily.  Shapes and that notched cotton reel texture also make me wonder.
This list just keeps growing.

Last edited by Ev on Mon 6 Jul - 17:11; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Thu 24 Mar - 13:47

Well done on your first one Ev, I love it, I love it, especially that band at the top. The similarities you mention have me wondering too, this is getting very exciting.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Thu 24 Mar - 16:29

Then we look at the other "Rhodes" vases that have that very Steenstra like texturing on the outside.
And when I was at the CL museum with Ernie Cooper we compared the three pots Ernie donated with the museum's Rhodes ashtray. Ernie noted very similar streaks in the clay in both the "Rhodes" ashtray and his pots which he watched Steenstra make.
There was a suggestion that the clays could be the same but the darker ones have gone thru a hotter kiln... What do you potters think of that theory?

This is still all speculation and it's driving me nuts! I have never seen any promotional material for these"Rhodes" vases. Nor has Ev or any other researcher seen anything in the records.
It is all rather weird.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 24 Mar - 17:42

The hotter kiln theory works for me Val as that would certainly give darker results. In saying that, every kiln has hot spots and cooler spots, so it could be a common occurrence.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum