NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King EmptyYesterday at 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King EmptyYesterday at 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King

4 posters

Go down

Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King Empty Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King

Post  mumof1 Sat 2 Jan - 10:29

Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King Dsc08928
Wondering if anyone recognises the style of this bowl
Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King Dsc08929
the mark is not very clear, but looks like a wonky sideways k. Any ideas?

Last edited by mumof1 on Sat 2 Jan - 22:04; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change description)
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King Empty Re: Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King

Post  Kat & Co. Sat 2 Jan - 15:10

You have a mystery mark, its top page 144 in the Marks of NZ Potters book & looks a bit like a K cat
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King Empty Re: Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King

Post  teaandcoffee Sat 2 Jan - 21:52

Hi. This is one mark I can say something about, and I don't think its in the literature anywhere. It is a mark that turns up not infrequently suggesting a reasonable volume of output over a fairly lengthy period of time.

Several years ago we sold a stunning charger on Trademe (with a big chip unfortunately) that looked like Shoji Hamada himself could have potted it; only it wore this very 'K' potters mark on the bottom of the base rim exactly as here. The gentleman who purchased it came around to pick it up several weeks later and as the piece was so eye-catching and well put-together, I had to ask him if he knew who the potter might be.

The disarming answer was, 'Me in about 1983'; and the gentleman standing at our at our door's name was Roger King. He seems to be someone who has tended to shun the limelight, but was/is well schooled in the best Anglo-Oriental glazes and techniques (I have since seen a couple of good shino pieces by him but he no longer pots).

Virtually the only published reference to him that I can find, outside the New Zealand Potter magazines, is on page 96 of the book "Profiles of 24 New Zealand Potters" (Cecelia Parkinson and John Parker, 1988). Here Shane Wagstaff talks about meeting Roger King through 'The Potter's Gallery" in New Plymouth after which he went to work in King's studio for 18 months.

This pot is by one of those potters who probably deserves a longer entry in yet to be written New Zealand ceramic histories.

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Sat 2 Jan - 22:00

Wow, thank you so much teaandcoffee for all that information, and for sharing your experience on here.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Valerio likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Sun 3 Jan - 8:58

cheers  thats great info, thanks im gona add that to my potters marks book. Very Happy
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

mumof1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King Empty Roger King courtesy of the Ferret

Post  Ev Wed 3 Apr - 13:58

Photos courtesy of the Ferret :

Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King Lennet11

Who made this bowl with mystery k mark - it was Roger King King_r11
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down