NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024 - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! EmptyThu 25 Apr 2024 - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! EmptySun 21 Apr 2024 - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! EmptySat 20 Apr 2024 - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! EmptySat 20 Apr 2024 - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! EmptyFri 19 Apr 2024 - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! EmptyFri 19 Apr 2024 - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! EmptyFri 19 Apr 2024 - 7:13 by Ev

Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please!

5 posters

Go down

Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! Empty Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please!

Post  Ev Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 11:54

Today these photos were sent to the site to try and find out about this unusual piece.
It is 6 inches high and cream coloured.  There is one in a photo in Val Monks book on page 64 on the middle shelf and this was taken in 1959. Has anyone seen one of these before?

What would the holes be for?  The only thing I can come up with is for it to be used as a candle holder and the holes would give the light a lovely ambience. Do you have any other ideas?

Photos with permission of the photographer ...

Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! Vase_w10

Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! Vase_w11
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! Empty Re: Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please!

Post  teaandcoffee Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 17:20

It looks like one of Dan Steenstra's specials. Maybe for potpourri?

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! Empty Re: Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please!

Post  mumof1 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 17:59

I had always thought these pots with holes were either herb planters if small (sits on the windowsill with a small herb in each hole so you can use fresh) or as strawberry planters if larger, so the fruit hangs down and doesn't sit on soil. They also ripen better next to the warmth of the pot.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 18:06

Mmmm at only 6 inches high, perhaps for herbs, but even then they would be squished. Have you seen these before ????????
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 18:38

I used to have one with a windmill on the side (not CL of course) that was 6" high, and they are ok for small herbs that grow upwards, but look great with little cacti. They are also called orchid pots, and the orchid is planted in the top I think, and the holes provide extra drainage for the plant. Here are some terracotta
http://www.readersdigest.co.nz/how-to-grow-orchids
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  unouwanit Sun 18 Jan 2015 - 19:24

Pure speculation of course, but my thoughts are a tulip vase?

I know the dutch versions differ considerably, in place of holes they have tube protruding from the vase but it was that combined with the other poster saying they'd had one with a windmill on that got me leaning that way.

unouwanit

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 19 Jan 2015 - 8:49

Logical husband came up with the idea that it might be a bird feeder ..... ?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 10:50

I agree with Mumof1 that it could be a strawberry planter. At least that is what I always thought when I saw the picture with the vase sitting on the shelf.

May be strawberry plants were smaller in the olden days before all the technology of making huge plants with big fruit came about.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 12:28

It doesn't make sense to me to make a cream glazed pot for strawberries as the soil would soon discolour the glaze. We always used terrocotta clay for strawberry pots and never glazed them..... And they were big.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 9:29

True, when you explain it like that.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 10:09

There is an entry in Tam Mitchell's Modellers Log Book from July 1963 -

19th - Finish Model and Block of Crocus Vase for O/S [Owen Salisbury] 7"

So I googled Crocus Vase and this is what turned up ...

http://www.kennemerend.nl/crocus.html

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 10:12

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Thu 22 Jan 2015 - 13:04

Ah, but they are describing the flower petal pattern, not the pot, so I would say you are on the right track - well done!
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 6 Feb 2015 - 18:31

Aha so there was one of these at the Papakura Museum pottery exhibition in 2010

Remarkable Unusual Crown Lynn 'Vase' with Holes .... info wanted please! Papaku10
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Sat 11 Apr 2015 - 13:32

One has been listed! http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=871643876 The craze lines on the base are very much in the same pattern as on your one Ev.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum