NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  EmptyToday at 18:31 by Kotuku

» Studio ceramics " bugger mugs " plate
That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  EmptyToday at 6:28 by JanPots

» Pottery marks
That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  EmptyYesterday at 19:01 by Bold90s

» Neil Grant
That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  EmptyYesterday at 12:51 by Ev

» Orange and Brown amazing pattern
That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  EmptyWed 8 May - 7:51 by Ev

» Glenn Beattie
That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  EmptyWed 8 May - 7:40 by Ev

» Rancich/Silva Shape 58
That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  EmptyMon 6 May - 14:46 by JanPots

» NOT a Sherwood Pottery Galleon, as Made in Japan
That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  EmptyMon 6 May - 8:45 by Ev

» Minna Bondy
That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  EmptySun 5 May - 7:29 by Ev

That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed

5 posters

Go down

That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  Empty That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed

Post  mumof1 Tue 16 Dec - 15:48

That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  Dsc04214
We don't know if this is a Crown Lynn yet, as it is unmarked
That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  Dsc04215
but this is easier than looking up the auction on TM
That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  Dsc04216
and this one has a Ballins logo on a 6611
That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  Dsc04217
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  Empty Re: That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed

Post  Ev Tue 16 Dec - 19:17

Thank you so much for those pics sunshine!
Can I ask where you got that Father mug?
I hadn't seen one until I saw the one on the Portage Ceramic Trust site and then one was listed on Trade Me !!
The Portage say that it was made by Crown Lynn, 1948 - 1955 but don't say where they garnered that info from.
I have tried so hard to find that shape with the fluted base in the descriptions, but haven't been able to find it. I guess it will be another shape to suss out when we visit the Museum after it opens .....

There is a Ballin's large jug and now a Ballin's little jug. I think there are other references to Ballin's too and will look for them sometime. That should go into the Monogrammed Gallery thanks sunny.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17741
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  Empty Another Father cup

Post  mumof1 Sat 19 Sep - 16:47

Gosh Ev, how rude of me not to reply to your question! Sorry. I found this cup in a shop in Christchurch last Christmas. I see there is another one listed atm of a different shape http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=949431943
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  Empty Re: That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed

Post  Maryr Sat 19 Sep - 17:50

There is a honey glaze jug made at the titian factory with 4 digits that is also Ballins. Sorry mine is ahem in a box so I cant get a pic.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1977
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 19 Sep - 18:55

I had that Father on my watchlist, but failed to take any action. These old cup shapes really fascinate me unfortunately. Perhaps one day I will find my own somewhere when I least expect it ...?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 4 Apr - 14:38

The super vitrified Ballins decal is deco 72, so I will add this to the main Patterns Gallery now.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 5 Dec - 15:52

Found a big Father cup the same as this one today!! 
It feels right regarding the weight for size.
The clay looks old and is an off white.
No crazing in the glaze.
Still haven't found any reference to this mug, but I'm forever hopeful.
I'm doing a thorough search through the records now, not just choosing the ones that look promising.  It's going to take a while ....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 1 Apr - 16:18

Despite multiple references to this cup being a Crown Lynn piece I really could not see it for myself. Of course seeing with your own eyes (rather than looking at photos) and handling can make all the difference, telling you that the clay colour and body weight are correct. I have an that idea I have had those opportunities before (perhaps Jim has one) but still had difficulty with the complexity of the shape. In this case it was the name Crown Lynn stamped on the saucer that convinced me!

That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  Father10
cup 76mm H x 120 OD: saucer 182 OD, 48-55 mark

The saucer is clearly a match for the cup.
That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  Father11

It was only when I showed this to Finn that I became aware Portage had the saucer too. Their backstamp is sharper, and their cup is monogrammed WW in gold on the reverse. Otherwise condition is similar, a wee bit of crazing on the saucer bases.

This is a very fine piece of pottery.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 1 Apr - 18:41

Oh My Goodness, I hadn't noticed the saucer before !!!!!!
You are a gem Jeremy xxxxx  Sorry I know that you don't do kisses, but this is a special occasion !!!  I have the cup too and it felt right.  Oh glory day Very Happy
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 2 Apr - 9:40

Jeremy I've added your cup and saucer to the Crown Lynn Shapes with No Numbers Gallery as it is an important finding.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Thu 23 Nov - 21:17

What about the father cup being the 3026...
The handle looks close .. jury's out lol

That big Father cup and a little Ballins monogrammed  2017-115
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2113
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 24 Nov - 6:34

I don't think so Janice as it says made in 1970 and the saucer above has the old Crown Lynn stamp on it from 1948 to 1955
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 24 Nov - 16:02

Just wondering:

The 750 and 781 get to have new four digit numbers, 3060 and 3062, so ...

... perhaps the 3026 drawing is just a bad representation of a 780 South Pacific cup.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Fri 24 Nov - 17:00

You could be onto something jeremy. ..
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2113
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 24 Nov - 17:23

rThe bowl shape could work but the handle is a big ask.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum