NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics

3 posters

Go down

Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics Empty Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 14 Sep - 2:36

Reading about Peter Beach brought me to this.

I've been wondering how it is that Clay Craft etc keep turning up as a Hobby Ceramics, and as third party such as Sanford. Ernie Cooper gives the answer in the following post:
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t3731-beach-nz#14199

It would appear to me that Furnace Engineering took over Clay Craft's assets when it took control of Terra "as an adjunct to their hobby ceramics division".

This will also add to recent discussions on whether certain sculptural pieces are Terra or Hobby. Hobby had the Terra moulds and glazes, and perhaps some of the staff too.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics Empty Re: Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics

Post  Ev Mon 17 Nov - 9:39

It's odd that I only know the name Furnace Engineering with regards to kilns and kiln equipment.  So perhaps there is another story there that I'm not aware of, plus I was living in Australia during the 80's and early 90's so there are many blank areas that I don't know about. Furnace Engineering have just closed after a long and involved career with many potteries.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics Empty Re: Kiln Craft Clay Craft Terra Ceramics Furnace Engineering Hobby Ceramics

Post  Maryr Wed 13 Nov - 16:20

Sue Newby, wife of Bruce Haliday, told me that she worked for Furnace Engineering. At the time, Furnace Engineering had an active hobby ceramics business and Sandra Homer was making doll parts - arms, legs, heads etc.
Sue said that she learned a lot about casting small pieces from her time there.
Ernie Cooper has also talked about the Homers' hobby ceramics business.
John Homer has died - I wish I knew how to get hold of Sandra. I have tried, without success.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 13 Nov - 16:29

Pam Clark mentioned the Homer name to me.
Perhaps she might know how to contact Sandra?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum