NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Radio interview with serious collector - audio link  EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Radio interview with serious collector - audio link  EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Radio interview with serious collector - audio link  EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Radio interview with serious collector - audio link  EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Radio interview with serious collector - audio link  EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Radio interview with serious collector - audio link  EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Radio interview with serious collector - audio link  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Radio interview with serious collector - audio link  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Radio interview with serious collector - audio link  EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

Radio interview with serious collector - audio link

4 posters

Go down

Radio interview with serious collector - audio link  Empty Radio interview with serious collector - audio link

Post  Maryr Sat 26 Jul - 8:47

Hi I stumbled upon this on Radio NZ - 20 minutes with Jeff from Timaru, an interesting insight into a very very serious ceramics collector with a focus on Crown Lynn.  Many of you will know who he is but to protect his privacy he doesn't use his surname.  Click the 'Play' button and the interview will start.
Enjoy!
http://www.radionz.co.nz/audio/player/20142224
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1975
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Radio interview with serious collector - audio link  Empty Re: Radio interview with serious collector - audio link

Post  Ev Sat 26 Jul - 12:26

Can't get this to work on my phone... 6 years ago he said he had been collecting pottery for 20 years and now it's jumped to 40 years?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Radio interview with serious collector - audio link  Empty Re: Radio interview with serious collector - audio link

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 26 Jul - 14:05

Me neither.

Maybe you need an app, or to subscribe?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Sat 26 Jul - 14:38

worked just fine on my laptop, maybe not compatible with phones, or as suggested, needing an app to work with them
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sat 26 Jul - 15:31

Oh dear life is never simple!  This link is to Radio New Zealand, a programme called This Way Up which went to air on 19 July.  
I guess you need the Radio New Zealand app to make it work.  I can hear it on my desktop and also on my samsung which has the app. There is definitely no subscription charge.
Good luck.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 26 Jul - 19:04

My laptop let me hear this ..... omg I'm a bit stunned and all I can think of is the saying that there is a fine line between a collector and a hoarder... .. .... .....
This man can still be found on Trademe bidding on Crown Lynn amongst other things.
Molle and some studio potters are favourites of his too.
I recall an article in North & South magazine in 2005 and this is an excerpt from an interview with Jim Drummond ...
"He also says that Wanganui's Slater family and Auckland artist Rodney Fumpston have magnificent Crown Lynn collections that have graced many galleries.
He mentioned that meanwhile someone mysterious in Timaru is buying hugely on TradeMe under the name 'Temuka' and possibly with the second identity of 'Crown Lynn'. Drummond figures 'Temuka' as the most voracious collector currently working."
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sat 26 Jul - 19:12

I was a bit stunned by his casual comments about how much stuff eg swans he had (deliberately?) broken in years past believing them to have little value. And it appears his collection doesnt include dinnerware.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 26 Jul - 19:17

oh yes .... 10,000 to 30,000 units were smashed ..... I'm not stupid so I won't swallow that one. One time he said he had smashed barrels of Len Castle pots for mosaics ..... C'mon !!! Perhaps collectors of this magnitude become eccentric and their mind plays tricks on them?
I'm sure you would enjoy seeing this almost unwanted collection of such huge proportions?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 27 Jul - 6:45

Did anyone else hear him use the term 'Triple Glaze' .... or did my ears play tricks on me?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sun 27 Jul - 7:37

Ev i had another listen and i am pretty sure he said trickle glaze. And i am so pleased that i - and many others associated with this website - have a research component to our collections, and/or focus on one particular style so we are not totally overwhelmed like this man is.
Maryr
Maryr

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum