NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! EmptyToday at 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !!

+2
Ev
mike67
6 posters

Go down

PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! Empty PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !!

Post  mike67 Wed 2 Apr - 15:42

Just wondering if anyone could identify this mark on the 300 mm platter pictured. It is a very striking piece so I hope I can find out who did it. Cheers
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! Img_0923
This is the platter
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! Img_0924
mike67
mike67

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2014-02-22

Back to top Go down

PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! Empty Re: PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !!

Post  Ev Wed 2 Apr - 16:03

Hi Mike, they have marbled coloured slips to give the plate that super look.
Now that mark has been debated about before and we haven't got to the bottom of it yet. There are several studio potters who had PW initials, but we can't find this one in the Potters Marks book. They were an excellent potter whoever they are.
I'm trying to find the other topic about this mark, but can't find it, so if anyone else can, please add a link.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17729
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! Empty Re: PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !!

Post  mike67 Wed 2 Apr - 16:17

Thanks very much for that. It is a big piece and stunning looking in the flesh. The underside has two raised circular ridges that form part of an overall swirling effect that finishes in the middle. There is some crazing in the glaze and was wondering if it was a sign of a little age or not?
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Wed 2 Apr - 17:44

That's the same mark as on my big blue platter -

Last edited by Cat-a-lat on Mon 2 Jun - 20:02; edited 1 time in total
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 2 Apr - 17:57

Arghggchhh no wonder I couldn't find that topic !!
I don't think either pieces were made by Paul Walshe.
Mike I would guess that your platter is from the 1970's to 1990's.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Wed 2 Apr - 18:04

Thanks again. Followed the link to the blue platter and read the info there and looked at the Cabbage Tree mark. The mark on mine is underglaze and obviously the same plate as shown in a different coloured glaze. Looked a bit like the Cabbage Tree mark...?? Cheers, Mike
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Fri 9 May - 20:24

Looks like the same mark again: 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/other-nz-manufacturers/auction-726876693.htm
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Margery1 Mon 2 Jun - 19:44

The platter shown is by Paul Walshe. He was my husband until he died in 2007. I recognise his signature which is his own. Usually I wrote his initials as I worked With him in his pottery and I fettled the pots when they were at the biscuit stage. If any more details are required I am happy to supply them. He was also a sculptor and his sculptures can be seen in Parliament House Wellington And the Gallipoli statue also in Wellington, plus others in nelson where we lived.

Margery1

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Mon 2 Jun - 19:59

Fantastic! There has been a lot of speculation about that mark, I for one am very pleased that there's a resolution Smile I have one of the platters with this mark and it is fabulous Smile
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 2 Jun - 20:01

Welcome to the site Margery1 and thank you so much for that information.  We have wondered about that mark for some time now and it is quite different to the mark on Paul's every day domestic ware.  I have a few of his pieces and he seemed to move around a bit as his stickers show several different areas.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Margery1 Tue 3 Jun - 17:46

Here is some more info about Paul ands. We started out in Pyes Pa. In Tauranga in 1970 then we moved to Nelson in 1976 and remained there until Paul died in 2007. Paul had a particular method of decorating his platters which I believe was unique to him. we made about 8000 pots a year, mostly domestic ware, made from white English clay. If you would like more details feel free to contact me, preferably by phone as I am a complete idiot on this fiendish machine unless my granddaughter is around!, It is very comforting to know that those of you who own his platters like them so much. he was a completely self taught potter who built his own potters wheel out of a washing machine motor. I am in the otago phone book and living in Arrowtown.t

Margery1

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Tue 3 Jun - 17:57

Thank you very much Margery. I have several pieces of Paul's work with that mark and especially love that swirly brown platter. I really did want to find out who made it and I will now maintain an extra interest in his work now that I know. Could you hazard a guess as to the date the platter was made. Many thanks again, Mike
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  Margery1 Tue 3 Jun - 18:17

Most of these platters would have been made in the 1970s and early 1980s. If a pot has Paul's signature on it it meant that at the suitable moment of the pot drying Paul signed it, otherwise I was working with him and would have done so and not been collecting children from school or whatever.. You can look up Paul under his name for sculpture and other details, again, so. Nice to know his work is appreciated.

Margery1

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Sat 7 Jun - 22:02

Here is another nice piece of Paul's work( I think it is the same mark)
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! Img_1317
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! Img_1318
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Sun 8 Jun - 0:37

Ooh, I like that! Yes, that is his mark too!
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! Empty more Paul Walshe

Post  mumof1 Wed 25 Jun - 10:30

PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! Dsc02011
This is a lovely small bowl in the same style as the platters
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! Dsc02012
and although I know the mark is underneath, this one also has a sticker. Interesting to note the wording - ovenware.
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! Dsc02110
I wanted to share this platter, as it is heavily textured, which the phioto doesn't really show.
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! Dsc02013
This only has the PW with no NZ
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Wisey Mon 25 Sep - 11:20

We were left this lovely Paul Walshe piece as part of an inheritance.... we love it.PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! 20230915
PW?? NZ Mark on Te Rona style platter is Paul Walshe !! 20230914

Wisey

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2023-09-25

Ev and Barakat77 like this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum