NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with potter ID please?
Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot EmptyYesterday at 11:33 by Pippa J

» Crown Lynn teapot shape 787 courtesy of Manos
Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot EmptyYesterday at 8:47 by Ev

» Critters d731
Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot EmptyFri 17 May - 18:52 by JanPots

» Blue Daisy Spray Pattern
Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot EmptyFri 17 May - 16:07 by Kat & Co.

» Oakley Lodge
Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot EmptyFri 17 May - 15:50 by Kat & Co.

» 154 Swan mould from Crown Lynn
Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot EmptyWed 15 May - 20:38 by ro

» Jack Krsinich - Foxton Beach
Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot EmptyWed 15 May - 17:09 by ANNA KRSINICH

» Adrienne Smith
Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot EmptyWed 15 May - 7:45 by UrsulaC

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot EmptyTue 14 May - 16:25 by signal red

Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot

2 posters

Go down

Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot Empty Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot

Post  Ev Sun 14 Jul - 15:18

This pot stopped me in my tracks today at an Antique Fair !!
If only I had $1895.00 to spare I would have bought it, but a photo will have to do.
The texture is not like any that I've seen before and the oxide or slip was brushed on top quickly so that it enhanced the colour of the clay beneath.  Glazed on the inside and just a little on the lower outside, the form is really gorgeous!!
It had the old tiki and three stars stamp on the base.  
I asked about the pot's history and was told that only about 200 were ever made in this way with the terracotta clay and they were made in the 1950's and 1960's.

Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot Rhodes10

Last edited by Ev on Sun 9 Aug - 10:24; edited 2 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17755
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot Empty Re: Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot

Post  mumof1 Sun 14 Jul - 15:28

Wow! That is just lovely! How high would it be Ev? And, were there 200 of this style, or 200 of all the terracotta vases, including the little ones?
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot Empty Re: Steenstra Really stunning Brick & Pipe clay Large Pot

Post  Ev Sun 14 Jul - 15:43

This is a decent size and would be in the 9 inch range. I believe the trader thought that only 200 were made in total in the terracotta range. I would have seen a few dozen of these vases, so I would suggest that there should be more than 200 .....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17755
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum