NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with potter ID please?
Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. EmptySat 18 May - 11:33 by Pippa J

» Crown Lynn teapot shape 787 courtesy of Manos
Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. EmptySat 18 May - 8:47 by Ev

» Critters d731
Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. EmptyFri 17 May - 18:52 by JanPots

» Blue Daisy Spray Pattern
Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. EmptyFri 17 May - 16:07 by Kat & Co.

» Oakley Lodge
Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. EmptyFri 17 May - 15:50 by Kat & Co.

» 154 Swan mould from Crown Lynn
Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. EmptyWed 15 May - 20:38 by ro

» Jack Krsinich - Foxton Beach
Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. EmptyWed 15 May - 17:09 by ANNA KRSINICH

» Adrienne Smith
Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. EmptyWed 15 May - 7:45 by UrsulaC

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. EmptyTue 14 May - 16:25 by signal red

Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug ..

5 posters

Go down

Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. Empty Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug ..

Post  Potnut Fri 28 Jun - 12:01

85mm high, what do you think, how rare is it?

Last edited by Potnut on Fri 28 Jun - 12:03; edited 1 time in total

Potnut

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-06-28

Back to top Go down

Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. Empty Re: Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug ..

Post  Cat-a-lat Fri 28 Jun - 12:03

a link to the thread with the photo of the jug.

It's a bit of an art to learn to post photos here (much as it is to learn to post them in TM forums) lol

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages.aspx?id=1284762&topic=16
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. Empty Re: Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug ..

Post  Potnut Fri 28 Jun - 12:04

yes I'm having fun trying to find out how! Thanks
Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. 001Embarassed
While I try to make sense of this photo adding business, the thread is on TM message board under collectors forum with heading 'Is this the Rarest CL jug (or something sim)

Last edited by Potnut on Fri 28 Jun - 12:23; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : add photo)

Potnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 28 Jun - 12:18

Is it the 1621 ? Very tiny. Can't log into tm : (
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17755
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 28 Jun - 12:23

Ahhh no the. 1621 is 44mm high.....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Potnut Fri 28 Jun - 12:24

Ev wrote:Is it the 1621 ?  Very tiny.  Can't log into tm : (
Hi, it has no number, hopefully someone will post a pic from TM, sorry.

Potnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Fri 28 Jun - 12:25

I'll get the pic for you - back soon

Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. 27284010
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Fri 28 Jun - 12:27

It is a shaving jug/mug. How nice!
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 28 Jun - 12:29

Thanks cat .... That is a shaving mug.... Quite old really and I will have to look in the gallery to find the number
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Potnut Fri 28 Jun - 13:49

Cat-a-lat wrote:I'll get the pic for you - back soon

Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. 27284010
Thanks cat-a-lat!. You are very kind.

Potnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Potnut Fri 28 Jun - 13:51

mumof1 wrote:It is a shaving jug/mug. How nice!
Thank you mumof1 and Ev, very good of you all to pass on the info!

Last edited by Potnut on Fri 28 Jun - 13:52; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling!)

Potnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 28 Jun - 17:18

This shaving mug has the shape number 714 and these were made from the 1940's to the 1960's according to Val Monk.....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Potnut Fri 28 Jun - 17:20

Ev wrote:This shaving mug has the shape number 714 and these were made from the 1940's to the 1960's according to Val Monk.....
Thank you very much for your help, it's very much appreciated!.

Potnut

Back to top Go down

Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. Empty Pretty Shaving Mug

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 5 Jun - 13:40

A pretty shaving mug that appears to be hand-painted.
Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. Shavin10
Unmarked. Clean crazing and a snot on the handle, otherwise fine.

Is this a 714?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 5 Jun - 14:16

The pourer lip looks different to me. What do you reckon Jeremy?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 5 Jun - 14:43

I photographed it in such a way that the details could be clearly seen; the other photo hides a lot, and may give false impressions.

I bought this from the Bait Shop in Moerewa today. I saw it on my last visit up North and popped in today to see if it was still there. Looked better than I remembered it. Since spotting it I've kept an eye out for them. My friend Joss in Auckland has one too.

I've seen a few around, and the "pourer" is always a plain cut-out, unlike any other shaving mug I have seen. I was wondering about the handle, whether there is too deep a depression in the top. I can't see anything in "Icon" and can't find my "Guide" around, but I will keep looking.

I think there are two different CL shaving mugs. This is definitely not the one in Val's blog. One of those on TM ATM.

Here's a couple I found with google, looks pretty much the same:

http://www.woodville.co.nz/images/dcp00927.jpg

http://www.sella.co.nz/general/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/other/m5d5ky/

This one on TM is same shape and marked:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pottery-glass/Porcelain-pottery/Crown-Lynn/Other/auction-736581157.htm

I'm happy that it appears to be the same shape as all these.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 5 Jun - 17:12

Val has one in her Handbook page 137 and a different one on her blog.
I agree that the links above all have the same shape bellied mug. It's the pouring lip that concerns me. I saw one just the other day and it had a slight pourer rather than a pronounced cut out.
Most of hon-john's photos were posted as Market and Opshop finds and went into the galleries from there and are hard to find.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 5 Jun - 17:39

The one of linked to on trademe has what appears, from the description, to be either a 43-50 or 48-55 backstamp.

The seller writes:
"Has the unusual feature of no spout bit and the flat scalloped bit on top of the handle."

This is my experience of them, and, apart from the lack of a backstamp, the description fits my one.

Val will see it one day.

Does the decoration look in any way familiar?

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Thu 5 Jun - 18:03; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 5 Jun - 17:51

The pansies don't ring any bells, but that doesn't mean anything.
Perhaps the green outline on the 'spout' makes it look more pronounced than it is ...?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 11 Jun - 13:57

This pair look like the ones that I've seen Jeremy -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=740040597
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 11 Jun - 20:58

I think this is just the way they are photographed, Ev.

I photographed mine to show the shape, and these a photographed to show the pattern.

I think the appearance of a small spout is an illusion created by the angle of the photo.

All the ones I have looked at on google images, mostly current and past trademe auctions look the same shape as mine.

Still not sure about the pattern on mine though. It is very fancy, and I have tried comparing it to Crown Lynn hand-painted and found nothing quite like it.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 21 Jun - 9:48

Some more shaving mugs.

The first three are photographed courtesy of Margaret:
The Red Barn Antiques & Collectables,  Warkworth.
Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. 3shavi10
The "Dad" mug has a gold cursive Crown Lynn 1948 to 1955 mark.
The deco striped mugs are not marked.
Note a slightly larger cut-out and rounder handle top at the o/s end on the unmarked.
Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. 2shavi10
Comparative photos of my pretty mug, left, and a mug marked Made in New Zealand.
The same differences apply as for the top photo. Notice also a slightly different base.
Also see how the bottom end of the handle joins the mug body differently.

All shaving mugs are the same height and diameter. Other than looking for marks I did not notice the bases of Margaret's mugs.

It looks to me as though the pretty mug is from the same maker as the deco ones, but whether they are Crown Lynn or not I cannot say. The deco striped mugs sure look like so many Crown Lynn ones we see.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. Empty An explanation?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Fri 19 Sep - 14:24

This tm auction is for a shaving mug that looks like a CL 714 but it is marked Empire Ware: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pottery-glass/auction-782606075.htm

Newer link:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pottery-glass/Porcelain-pottery/Other-British-manufacturers/Other/auction-835133472.htm

It could be that my first mug above is theirs (although it has no marks at all) and possibly where CL got the shape from.

Then again, when it look at all three shapes together I see minor differences, so there may be three different makers. (Some may result from the photography.)

---------

While checking on KSP wrt Coronation mugs today I noticed they also produced a shaving mug like the Empire and CL ones, but no cutout (methinks) and wood grain surface, and Koala, in Australia, also made one similar:

https://reretro.wordpress.com/tag/australian-pottery/
scroll to second photo

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Tue 4 Aug - 15:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add more)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. Empty vitrified 714?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 12 Apr - 20:44

Admittedly we have seen this 714 shape before with the Ambrico MADE IN NEW ZEALAND in a circle stamp, and indeed I myself have one. And while my own has a whitish body this one I spotted at Val's is a crisp white with no hint of crazing. It hasn't had the easiest time of it as the crack shows but absolutely no crazing. I obviously had no opportunity to compare but the feel of this was quite sturdy, heavier than expected.
Rare Crown Lynn Jug, one of a kind? - Is a 714 old shaving mug .. Vit71410
vitrified 714?

I think it is a rare vitrified example.
I added the pic of the front of the mug because you can see the mould mark, very unusual for Ambrico-Crown-Lynn. Well it just appears as a shadow line down the centre in the photo but clear enough on the real thing.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum