NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with potter ID please?
Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info???  Yes made by Steenstra EmptyYesterday at 11:33 by Pippa J

» Crown Lynn teapot shape 787 courtesy of Manos
Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info???  Yes made by Steenstra EmptyYesterday at 8:47 by Ev

» Critters d731
Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info???  Yes made by Steenstra EmptyFri 17 May - 18:52 by JanPots

» Blue Daisy Spray Pattern
Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info???  Yes made by Steenstra EmptyFri 17 May - 16:07 by Kat & Co.

» Oakley Lodge
Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info???  Yes made by Steenstra EmptyFri 17 May - 15:50 by Kat & Co.

» 154 Swan mould from Crown Lynn
Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info???  Yes made by Steenstra EmptyWed 15 May - 20:38 by ro

» Jack Krsinich - Foxton Beach
Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info???  Yes made by Steenstra EmptyWed 15 May - 17:09 by ANNA KRSINICH

» Adrienne Smith
Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info???  Yes made by Steenstra EmptyWed 15 May - 7:45 by UrsulaC

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info???  Yes made by Steenstra EmptyTue 14 May - 16:25 by signal red

Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info??? Yes made by Steenstra

3 posters

Go down

Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info???  Yes made by Steenstra Empty Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info??? Yes made by Steenstra

Post  Maryr Fri 23 Nov - 11:45

Hi does anyone know anything about these vases?  I have been told they were made by Arthur and Olive Rhodes. The backstamp places them between 1945 and 1955 (according to Gail Henry).  I believe there is an exhibition catalogue that has more detal. I THINK this catalogue is 'Modernism and the Auckland Design Community' curated by Douglas LLoyd Jenkins in 1992. Does anyone have this catalogue, if so can you please please have a look....  
I was told by Tom Clark and others that they never ever let terracotta into the factory machinery because it would have contaminated the white body, which makes sense. So were these vases made elsewhere, or maybe out the back with the brick and pipe dept? Is this terracotta the same as was used in the drainage pipes? So many questions and no answers! This vase is 16 cm tall, clear glaze inside, with a darker glaze around the base. I love it.  There is also an ashtray in the same style, you see them sometimes on TMe.
Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info???  Yes made by Steenstra X_hand10
Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info???  Yes made by Steenstra X_hand11
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info???  Yes made by Steenstra Empty Re: Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info??? Yes made by Steenstra

Post  mumof1 Fri 23 Nov - 14:01

Hi Mary R, I have several of these pieces including an ashtray. There is a special section on the site that may help, but Ev is full of knowledge also.
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/f85-arthur-olive-rhodes
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info???  Yes made by Steenstra Empty Re: Terracotta vases and ashtray - any info??? Yes made by Steenstra

Post  Maryr Fri 23 Nov - 14:45

Thanks very much for that. this site is such a WEALTH of information! But am still wondering who these people were, and would love to get a solid date on when these items were made. I will wait to see what Ev has to say.. and maybe Douglas L-J can help?

Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1979
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 25 Nov - 7:34

Hi Maryr,
These potters fascinate me and I would like to know more about them too!
I didn't know about the Exhibition in 1992, so thanks for letting us know about it.
The Crown Lynn records have a page titled 'Hand Thrown Earthenware' which shows the four digit numbers [7010 -7021] and sizes for these pieces made 'in brick or pipe clay'.
The fact that they have four digits tells me that perhaps they were still making these after 1964 .... !????!

Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17755
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Fri 26 Apr - 15:42

As there is now another topic started regarding this thread, I am putting a link here to connect the two http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t3444-four-digit-numbered-hand-potted#11139
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum