NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Jan Gillespie
Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens EmptyYesterday at 8:02 by Kat & Co.

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens EmptyTue 30 Apr - 15:34 by Maryr

» Hamilton Boys High and Old Folks Assoc. Hamilton Badgeware
Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens EmptyTue 30 Apr - 14:54 by JanPots

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:33 by signal red

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:22 by Ev

» Cornwall Collection d836 Contemporary Ceramics
Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens EmptySun 28 Apr - 13:12 by Ev

» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens EmptySat 27 Apr - 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens

4 posters

Go down

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Empty Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens

Post  Cat-a-lat Thu 16 Feb - 13:44

I got this gorgeous large vase in about 1994 from a shop that was closing down and have managed to keep it safe while raising four children Smile I would love to know anything about the potter who created it. The name on the bottom appears to be 'Bryce' at my best guess.

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Dsc08412

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Dsc08413
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Empty Re: Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens

Post  Ev Thu 16 Feb - 16:48

What a glorious pot cheers
We had a question about this potter Bryce before, but there has been no response so far. They suggest that it may be Bryce Stevens.
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t1786-bryce-stevens?highlight=bryce

I googled Bryce Stevens and he worked at Coromandel and the Waikato it seems.
It appears that he has gone to Potters Heaven .... ?
Where did you find your pot?
Bryce Stevens has a mark in the Marks of New Zealand Potters book and it reminds me of the holes in a button ....[?] circular with a cross.
I will continue to find out more about him as that pot makes it worth finding some more info!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17734
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Empty Re: Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens

Post  Ev Thu 16 Feb - 17:12

As this old Bryce Stevens auction on Trade Me mentions a business card inside the pot that is signed Bryce ..... I would consider that to be a sign that the maker of your pot is Bryce Stevens!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/other-nz-manufacturers/auction-319245829.htm
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Thu 16 Feb - 18:13

Thank you so much, I found this beauty in Palmerston North in a craft/home decorating sort of shop 2 doors down from where I was working in Coleman Mall (which is a small street, not a shopping centre lol), I would have been 18. I fell for it the moment I saw it but it was $80 and it took me a while to save for it - and the shop was closing down- finally I had my $80 and I went in to buy it - and it had been reduced to half price as it was their last day of trading! Sad for them, but my lucky day Smile its belly is about as big as a basket ball! I'm adding another pic, of the other side. The colour is more accurate in this one - not quite, but close.

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Dsc08510
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 17 Feb - 8:04

Oh Wow I didn't realise that this pot was pit fired!
It will be rather fragile, even though it looks so robust.
I will put his mark in the Potters Marks Gallery and credit you for the photo.
Also will add Bryce Stevens to the title and move this thread to the Studio Potters category.
Thank you cheers
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Fri 17 Feb - 9:22

Thanks! Very Happy It's back in its box for now, (the one with "Mum's favourite vase, do not break!" written on it ;-) ) Having a shelf climbing 3 year old is not conducive to peace of mind...
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Tue 14 Apr - 14:57

Just realised this plate is one with Bryce's button mark that we don't have in the gallery,

http://www.pottersmarks.co.nz/2013/03/marks-bryce-stevens/

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Dsc04110

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Dsc05416
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Back to top Go down

Post  teaandcoffee Thu 10 Sep - 19:53

Bryce Stevens established his pottery on the Coromandel Peninsula in 1969, calling it "Tapu Creek Potteries". At some stage he moved to Hamilton and taught, working out of a space in the old Claudelands Railway station. Incidentally, this was either the same place or adjacent to the place Hereford Fine China had operated out of under Rick Lewis (of Royal Worcester fame). Incidentally incidentally, Mary Bailey, who started working for Titian early on, doing their gilding, having been trained by Royal Doulton; ended her days here in suburban Hamilton doing all the specialized ceramic gilding for Hereford Fine China (in the end a Hamilton subsidiary of Crown Lynn). Gosh, it was a small world wasn't it?! Bryce Stevens seems to have eventually moved back to the Coromandel to set up another pottery where he passed away still quite young.

teaandcoffee

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2012-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 13 Jul - 7:48

Bryce Stevens - Coromandel

Photos courtesy of the Ferret

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Bryce_10

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Steven10
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Wed 29 Dec - 8:19

I wonder if this piece is from Byrce Stevens?
It's completely different in style but the backstamp looks similar?

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens 20211218
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2111
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 29 Dec - 8:34

It certainly looks like his mark Janice and if you read teaandcoffee's comment you will see that he worked in Hamilton at one stage Very Happy
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Wed 29 Dec - 8:40

Yes...I did read that he worked in Hamilton. Thank you 😊
I've been looking for that backstamp for ages and today was looking for WS in the "marks of new Zealand Potter book" and saw the cross symbol..
I've gone through that book so many times but never saw it before today lol
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2111
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Ev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 18 Sep - 11:05

Bryce Stevens DCR goblet courtesy of the Ferret cheers

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Bryce_10

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Bryce_11

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Bryce_12
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 18 Apr - 9:18

Photos courtesy of the Ferret cheers

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Bryce_13

Can anyone identify my favourite vase?  Answer Bryce Stevens Bryce_14
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down