NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Rancich/Silva Shape 58
Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn EmptyYesterday at 14:46 by JanPots

» Glen Beattie
Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn EmptyYesterday at 11:32 by Ev

» NOT a Sherwood Pottery Galleon, as Made in Japan
Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn EmptyYesterday at 8:45 by Ev

» Minna Bondy
Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn EmptySun 5 May - 7:29 by Ev

» Jan Gillespie
Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn EmptyWed 1 May - 8:02 by Kat & Co.

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn EmptyTue 30 Apr - 15:34 by Maryr

» Hamilton Boys High and Old Folks Assoc. Hamilton Badgeware
Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn EmptyTue 30 Apr - 14:54 by JanPots

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:33 by signal red

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:22 by Ev

Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn

3 posters

Go down

Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn Empty Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn

Post  Ev Sun 6 Nov - 7:33

This is from the Richard Quinn Collection that is in the Crown Lynn: Pottery for the People Exhibition at the Gus Fisher Gallery.
This is a medium swan and it's the first swan that I've seen that has a gold beak.
The wings and head appear to have been waxed before glazing to resist the glaze, except for the tips of the feathers where pearl lustre has been applied onto the glaze.  Couldn't get close enough to see if the whole swan was lustred, but it is more than likely to be.  Very unusual and extremely beautiful.

Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn Swan_l10

Last edited by Ev on Thu 5 Nov - 6:28; edited 2 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17738
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn Empty Re: Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn

Post  Ev Sun 19 Jan - 16:03

Saw a large Female $700 and a Medium $400 swan today at the Central Flea Market in Balmoral Road.
The trader called them 'After Hours' swans as they were taken home by Crown Lynn workers who glazed and lustred them for a Pearl wedding anniversary present, and only 2 of each were made, according to the person he got them from. Neither swan has any stamps or numbers on their bases.

Te Toi Uku has a Medium Swan in this glazing technique in their Richard Quinn Collection and it has 2147 on the base.

I have seen this same glaze technique on something else, perhaps a vase or even a dolphin, but I can't locate it. A small pottery like Cera Ceramics perhaps.

Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn Large_10

Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn Medium10
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn Empty Re: Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn

Post  Ev Sat 11 Apr - 6:58

For the record, two more gold beaked swans turned up on Instagram @forageandfossic
I haven't seen them in the real world yet, but hope to.
A Medium and a Baby swan.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8LURlpJ7Do/
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 11 Apr - 7:15

Another has turned up in a private collection :O

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1254615284730918&set=p.1254615284730918&type=3&theater

This swan has 2147 on the base.
This makes a total of 6 so far.

1 Large Female
4 Medium
1 Baby

Last edited by Ev on Sat 11 Apr - 9:26; edited 2 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 11 Apr - 9:16

This collector also has a gold beaked Heron glazed in the same style and it has a sticker on it Handcrafted Especially for you 'De' Arn Auckland New Zealand.
Many thanks for letting us use your photos steels7 cheers

Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn De_arn10

Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn De_arn11

Flaire New Zealand also made this Heron and I believe that Hemara was the modeller for this shape.

So excited about these developments, but I will have to wait until lockdown to be over before I can do some research.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sat 11 Apr - 13:34

Interesting! Just a note to say that over the years I have seen that heron with a number of different labels and decorations. Someone must have been making the blanks and selling them to decorators. I don't think I have ever seen a Hobby Ceramics version but I can't be sure of that.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1977
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 5 Nov - 6:27

Yesterday Bruce Yallop was at the Crown Lynn Museum Te Toi Uku and Rosemary gave him this fabulous swan to look at.
His immediate response was that it was not made by Crown Lynn and his reason being that the base was too thin.  When he tapped the base it sounded paper thin, not solid like one that Crown Lynn had made.
The shape is the same as the 2147 Crown Lynn Medium Swan and is in the Museum's Richard Quinn collection, please be aware of this.
This swan has always intrigued me with it's most unusual pretty glazing technique and gold beak, which is so unlike anything else that Crown Lynn made and it's a relief to have it officially stated that it wasn't made by Crown Lynn.
This beautiful swan now goes into the Commercial Pottery section of the site and we await further information as to the maker.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Hannele likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Chasemecatvhme Thu 5 Nov - 16:57

Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn Ba501310
Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn 67e26910
Indeed it will be enlightening to find information on this artist as it also matches the style of the swans I have

Chasemecatvhme

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2020-09-19

Ev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 25 Aug - 10:21

I finally found a photo from somewhere of a dolphin in this style and it has a gold beak, bobble glaze and is lustred.
De' Arn sticker, but still don't know who they are!!!!

Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn De_arn10
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Shape 2147 Gold Beaked Swan was not made by Crown Lynn Empty Broken neck

Post  Chasemecatvhme Wed 25 Aug - 12:46

Interesting you should post this today. It was just yesterday my partner was moving the lounge furniture around and knocked one of my long neck swans over... Hmmmmmmm .. oooops broken in three places, I was devastated to say the least and she smiled and said I told you I would break one of their necks one day .... dammmmmn
Just finished gluing it back together last night.
Now I have one mint one and one slightly enhanced model..

Chasemecatvhme

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2020-09-19

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum