NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Rancich/Silva Shape 58
Yet another new Shape!!  Shape 21-8 EmptyMon 6 May - 14:46 by JanPots

» Glenn Beattie
Yet another new Shape!!  Shape 21-8 EmptyMon 6 May - 11:32 by Ev

» NOT a Sherwood Pottery Galleon, as Made in Japan
Yet another new Shape!!  Shape 21-8 EmptyMon 6 May - 8:45 by Ev

» Minna Bondy
Yet another new Shape!!  Shape 21-8 EmptySun 5 May - 7:29 by Ev

» Jan Gillespie
Yet another new Shape!!  Shape 21-8 EmptyWed 1 May - 8:02 by Kat & Co.

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
Yet another new Shape!!  Shape 21-8 EmptyTue 30 Apr - 15:34 by Maryr

» Hamilton Boys High and Old Folks Assoc. Hamilton Badgeware
Yet another new Shape!!  Shape 21-8 EmptyTue 30 Apr - 14:54 by JanPots

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Yet another new Shape!!  Shape 21-8 EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:33 by signal red

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Yet another new Shape!!  Shape 21-8 EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:22 by Ev

Yet another new Shape!! Shape 21-8

2 posters

Go down

Yet another new Shape!!  Shape 21-8 Empty Yet another new Shape!! Shape 21-8

Post  Ev Sat 20 Aug - 7:48

Yesterday I was minding my own business doing a nerdy thing, which was adding measurements to Crown Lynn Shapes in the Gallery from a Crown Lynn Shapes Catalogue. Mundane, but necessary.
I've had this record for many years and there in front of me was Shape 21 8inches!!!! This gave me a shock as Shape 21 is a well known Ambrico vase that is nowhere near 8 inches long and is very common. What???? Whhhaaaattt? I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My eyes wouldn't focus with excitement, then there it was a Trough 8 inches long with a wavy top edge 😮
I remembered words that Oakpot who worked at Salisburys/Royal Oak wrote about a Shape 21 Trough and raced off to find it. He said that the Shape 21 Planter Trough was made by Crown Lynn c1950-1954 to be used in Wire Holders made by Royal Oak. He was not taken seriously, as we all knew what Shape 21 looked like!
I apologised profusely to him yesterday as the Crown Lynn Shapes Catalogue cannot be wrong!
I have been intrigued by this shape for many years and there may be a longer one as well that I recall seeing at an Antique Fair. Who made this? It feels very familiar and was painted in the style of Salisbury/Royal Oak. It would not give up it's heritage until yesterday I love you Thank goodness I have one to add to the Gallery!
So the end result is that there are two Shape 21 shapes. The first from the early Ambrico days and the second from the early 1950's!

This is the page from the Crown Lynn Shapes Catalogue:
Yet another new Shape!!  Shape 21-8 11611

This is the Shape 21-8:
Yet another new Shape!!  Shape 21-8 Shape_15

Yet another new Shape!!  Shape 21-8 Shape_16

cheers
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17738
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

mumof1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Yet another new Shape!!  Shape 21-8 Empty Re: Yet another new Shape!! Shape 21-8

Post  Maryr Sat 20 Aug - 10:18

Great to see this Ev
I remember Oakpot telling me that Salisbury created some of their own shapes which they commissioned Crown Lynn to make. I have always looked at the 'different" feet on this vase and thought Hmm that's not CL, but if the original concept came from Salisbury, the whole thing makes more sense?
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1977
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Ev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum