NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Orange and Brown amazing pattern
Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn EmptyToday at 7:51 by Ev

» Glenn Beattie
Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn EmptyToday at 7:40 by Ev

» Rancich/Silva Shape 58
Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn EmptyMon 6 May - 14:46 by JanPots

» NOT a Sherwood Pottery Galleon, as Made in Japan
Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn EmptyMon 6 May - 8:45 by Ev

» Minna Bondy
Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn EmptySun 5 May - 7:29 by Ev

» Jan Gillespie
Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn EmptyWed 1 May - 8:02 by Kat & Co.

» Studio Ceramics wall swan...
Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn EmptyTue 30 Apr - 15:34 by Maryr

» Hamilton Boys High and Old Folks Assoc. Hamilton Badgeware
Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn EmptyTue 30 Apr - 14:54 by JanPots

» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn EmptyMon 29 Apr - 16:33 by signal red

Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn

3 posters

Go down

Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn Empty Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn

Post  Ev Wed 3 Mar - 12:30

Just in the last week or so these Crown Lynn rough glazed vases have come to my attention and I have never come across them before in all of my travels.
The glaze appears to be the same as the one that Titian Studios used.
So far, there have been four different vase shapes that they have turned up on ........
Shapes 593, 2016, 2017 and 553

The numbers on the base of some seem to be unusually large too .....?

My first course of action was to contact Cam and Bev Brown of Titian fame to see if they had ever seen them before.  They replied that they had never come across these shapes before.

So now another direction has to be taken.  Please add any you have to this topic.
I have permission to use photos by Nikki Smart, Charlotte Buchanan and Tessa Parlato.

Thanks for the photo of your 593 Nikki Smile

Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn 593_ro10

Thanks for your photos Charlotte Smile

Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn 593_in10

Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn 593_in12

and the 2017 thanks Charlotte ...

Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn 2017_r10

Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn 2017_b10

Thanks for the photos of a 2016 Tessa Smile

Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn 2016_w10

Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn 2016_b10

Last edited by Ev on Sun 27 Jun - 10:08; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17740
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Hannele and joanne like this post

Back to top Go down

Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn Empty Re: Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn

Post  Ev Wed 16 Jun - 12:55

I was surprised to find this vase in a Second Hand store with it's textured glaze on a Crown Lynn Shape and snapped it up. It didn't give away any secrets however !!

I just noticed a Catherine Anselmi photo on her blog showing this vase and the glaze looked textured too ...?

I will ask John Heap about this glaze when he does his talk at Te Toi Uku on 26th June.

Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn Crown_25

A close up of the textured glaze:
Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn Crown_26
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn Empty Re: Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn

Post  Ev Sun 27 Jun - 9:54

After an extremely interesting talk by John Heap, I showed him and Tom Clark Jnr this vase above and neither had seen this glaze before. Tom Clark Jnr actually said that the glaze wasn't used by Crown Lynn.
The fettling on this vase is dreadful, which was another pointer to not being made by Crown Lynn as they had very high fettling standards.
So one mystery is solved, yet there is still the mystery of who made this!!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Crown Lynn Shaped Vases glazed in a rough finish glaze..... were not made by Crown Lynn Empty Is my 553 a crown lynn - I have two one is smooth finish and the other rough finish

Post  joanne Mon 14 Mar - 15:48

Hello

I am new to the group.

I have a smooth finish Crown Lynn and a rough finish exactly the same 553 but very rough finish ... is this Crown Lynn

joanne

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 14 Mar - 15:54

Hi joanne, at this stage I am not sure and am waiting for more information to come to hand.
The managers at Crown Lynn don't recall this rough glaze.
Does the rough glazed one have a number on the base?
Or a stamp?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  joanne Mon 14 Mar - 15:57

Hi

Yes it has a 553 etched ... i am trying to figure out how i can add a photo, any suggestions

joanne

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2022-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 14 Mar - 15:58

Hi if you email it to the site at newzealandpottery@gmail.com I will load it for you. Cheers.

Ev
Ev
Admin

joanne likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  CrownPrince Sun 26 Nov - 8:10

Hi Ev - I'm not sure what year this thread is (is there a way to see the year on posts?) but wonder if the question of the textured glaze was ever resolved? I have a textured urn in white but it's Titian and also another Crown Lynn 4 digit vase in the textured white so wonder if it was a Titian glaze that they continued for a while at the Titian pottery after CL took them over? Cheers

CrownPrince

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2023-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 26 Nov - 8:15

Hi CrownPrince, I've adjusted your profile so that the right year shows for each post.

I think you are on the right track, but I'm still waiting for some confirmation to come to light Smile
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CrownPrince Sun 26 Nov - 8:31

Ah thank you - didn't realise it was a profile thing! Look forward to the mystery being solved Smile

CrownPrince

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2023-03-24

Ev likes this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum