NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. EmptyToday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. EmptyToday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. EmptyToday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. EmptyYesterday at 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. EmptyYesterday at 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. EmptyYesterday at 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

Who made this green embossed bottle? It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif.

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. Empty Who made this green embossed bottle? It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif.

Post  haselnuss Wed 3 Sep - 12:55

Who made this vase. I really don't think it Hobby Ceramics because it is heavy and looks  professionally made.
Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. Dscn4013

I am adding a Wharetana ashtray to compare the base etc. It does look very different.
Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. Dscn7322

Last edited by haselnuss on Sun 13 Dec - 20:58; edited 1 time in total
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. Empty Re: Who made this green embossed bottle? It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif.

Post  Ev Wed 3 Sep - 15:43

How terribly exciting it is to see your pics haselnuss as there is a modellers drawing in the Crown Lynn records of this very same design.  There is no number and it has a definite top whereas your one doesn't.  I have no idea why yours was fired on stilts and a time frame would be around 1975 to 1977 going by other shapes around it.
Please note there is a crossed out Bottle Vase above that has a finish at the top similar to your one.

Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. Leaf_m10
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. Empty Re: Who made this green embossed bottle? It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif.

Post  haselnuss Wed 3 Sep - 15:50

Wow, That is soooooo cool! I am glad I have asked for advise on the forum!

My vase is 21cm tall.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Fri 5 Sep - 21:43

This clog has a similar green glaze and again the glaze quality doesn't look like Hobby Ceramics and is not lightweight but has the three dots/stilts marks. The 2139 clog number from 1980 is glazed over thick and just shows through a little. It hasn't got any initials.

It is interesting that the vase was drawn sometime between 1975 and 1977. 1980 is not far away.

Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. Dscn4018
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Thu 4 Dec - 16:40

Here is the museum plaster model for the vase in the modelers book.
http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/account/3384/object/488755/Plaster_model_-_bottle_vase
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 4 Dec - 17:06

That green glaze does keep popping up in tandem with the stilt marks.
Besides the three you have posted recently (condiment set, bottle/vase and clog) there is also the Titian Hei Tiki mug that I've twice passed on at auction.

Apart from the clog, there is a tiki theme going through these green pieces.
An answer for one could turn out to be an answer for all.

The Hei tiki mug is available from one of the greenware sellers, which suggests a third party option: I don't know about the other shapes.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Thu 4 Dec - 17:12

The quality of the green glaze Hei Tiki mug that was on Trade Me and has been bought by someone else is much superior than my hobby ceramics mug.

I have seen an auction with 4 of the Hobby Ceramics mugs like my one on Trade Me and their glaze is no good.

I really don't think that the green mug is a hobby ceramics piece or it would surprise me if it was.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Thu 4 Dec - 17:32

Yes, and I forgot that the green ones still have a Titian mark showing on the base where the ones with the glazed highlights, the ones sold as greenware, do not.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Wed 7 Jan - 13:08

The Wharetana green bookends have just been listed and they too have the 3 stilt marks on the base and are glazed green all over the base.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=830896028
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 7 Jan - 14:55

My Wharetana 1012 has stilt marks.  Stilt marks are on all of the flatware/crockery.
Many potteries used stilts as well, not only hobby ceramics.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Wed 7 Jan - 15:51

Hello, Yes, I know that.

But the usual Crown Lynn white ware vases do not have them and we were wondering who made my green vase that is shown in the Crown Lynn drawings.

I am just trying to solve the mystery step by step. I am not saying that my vase is Wharetana ware.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 7 Jan - 16:04

Sorry haselnuss, I wasn't implying anything, just pointing out that stilt marks are not just on hobby ceramics pottery. Those bookends are fantastic :loveit:
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Thu 8 Jan - 9:24

No worries. I love the green glaze on the bookends.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 6 Dec - 6:51

A brown one has been listed on Trade Me and the trader feels that it was made during the Wharetana era, but that is his prerogative I guess in trying to date it.
This is the only other one that I've seen.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=993204174
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 6 Dec - 9:55

As the green glaze is one used by Titian, as on the tiki mug and other various mugs, Val's ikebana vase and my Presleyware vase, perhaps the shape is a Titian one adopted by Crown Lynn. Clog too? (Which could also explain why the clog number does not appear until 1980.)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 6 Dec - 10:56

As the clog was originally a shape 515 I can't agree with your thoughts Jeremy.
Also there is a drawing of the Manaia head in the Modellers large Folio that I photographed. This one looks like it is on a plate/plaque/or dish and is just before the Air NZ 1185 Ashtray which was first made in 1973.
I do appreciate your thoughts though Jeremy as it makes me question things and then I have to research the facts to satisfy my own thoughts.
This site is very lucky to have you and your thoughts and passion/obsession Smile
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 6 Dec - 12:13

Ta, Ev. Just throwin it at ya!

What do you think of the two green glazes, Crown Lynn vs Titian?

They look very similar: are they the same or different?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 6 Dec - 12:45

The green looks extremely similar to me too, but without being able to see them in the real world it's hard to tell. It's unfortunate that Crown Lynn took over the Titian factory and all that was in it really, as things overlap and get blurred. Also this week I would have seen 4 or 5 Crown Lynn shapes made by Hobby Ceramics students which only confuses matters more!
Keep throwing it at me Jeremy Wink
It keeps me awake and tests my searching skills.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Sat 12 Dec - 13:00

Manos and his wife visited us last week and had a look at my collection. He doesn't think the vase and clog were made by Crown Lynn because of the base. The vase is not Hobby Ceramics though. I asked the trader of the brown vase to show a picture of the base but he hasn't answered my question nor added the picture to the auction. Going by his description it might have the same base as mine.

We really enjoyed their visit and are looking forward to the next one!
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 12 Dec - 18:44

Had Manos seen this shape before haselnuss?
I hope to win the one listed as I want to 'feel' the weight and check out the clay etc. Does the weight feel right for the size haselnuss?
Then I will contact Bruce Yallop and ask him about it as there were drawings in the Modellers Folio that he has.
The green and the brown glaze certainly relate to the Wharetana ware glazes and they were making those Wharetana shapes again from the old moulds in the early 1980's.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Sun 13 Dec - 11:15

Manos didn't say that he has seen this shape before. I told him that there is a similar drawing of it in the modelers book but he was very busy looking at the collection because he only had an hour left and a lot to look at before he had to leave us again. So we didn't discuss the vase in much detail and I didn't know of the brown version at the time.

The vase has the right weight for it's size and I still think that it can't be a Hobby piece. I have seen and handled a lot of Crown Lynn and Titian Hobby Ceramic vases. They are much, much lighter, flimsy and the base looks different too.

I agree that both the green and the brown glaze have the Wharetana look.

Ev, I won't be bidding on it now but if you see a brown one again please let me know as I would love to have both colours.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Sun 13 Dec - 21:02

I have also added a Wharetana ashtray to the first picture of the post. The base looks different and so does the glaze.
But it could still have something to do with Crown Lynn because of the drawing in the modelers book.
Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. Dscn7323
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 13 Dec - 22:45

My Wharetana ashtray has three stilt marks and the base ring is nearly all covered with the green glaze. I can't find a photo so will try to remember to take one and add it here.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 14 Dec - 7:12

Here is the base of my beautiful green 1012 ashtray, though it's a lighter green in reality.

Who made this green embossed bottle?  It is a Crown Lynn Bottle Vase with Leaf & Maori Motif. Dscf2341
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Mon 14 Dec - 10:39

I see what you mean about the coloured rim and the stilts marks.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum