NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery EmptyYesterday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery EmptyYesterday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery EmptyYesterday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery EmptyThu 18 Apr - 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery

4 posters

Go down

Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery Empty Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery

Post  mike67 Tue 15 Jul - 9:24

Rice container 190 mm to the top of lid and marked in the large incised letters TRADITIONAL NZ. This glaze is very close to the unusually shaped pot and small jug that I thought may have been from this stable a while ago. Will get them out and photograph together.
Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery Img_1612
Large octagonal container is a larger version of the one already in the gallery. This one is 180 mm high and 160 mm across the base.
Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery Img_1613
mike67
mike67

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2014-02-22

Back to top Go down

Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery Empty Re: Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 15 Jul - 23:18

Mike, love the rice. I think I've have seen the colours before but in different proportions.

Octagonal: I think the blue and brown octagonal canister in the gallery may be this size. There is also one in another size somewhere on the forum that appears not to have made it to the gallery. I'd check but I'm travelling on 3G and being tight with it.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery Empty Re: Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery

Post  Maryr Sun 20 Jul - 17:59

Mike I love that rice jar. Gorgeous glazes. Here are a couple of spice jars which I believe are Clay Craft etc which I have picked up recently.  My 'curry' jar is the only one I have found so far that's inscribed - probably by the same hand as your rice jar?  Both have that unmarked flat dry base.

EDITS June 2015. These jars have been confirmed as Beach Artware.

Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery Clay_c12

Last edited by Maryr on Sat 27 Jun - 21:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correction)
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Sun 20 Jul - 18:54

I love the glaze on the rice as well and I agree the same hand...the R's are very much the same. I only have one of the spice containers shown below but I have a few pieces in that similar glaze that I think are Clay Craft family as well. Will post some photos of these again soon.Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery Img_1527

I posted these a while ago as possible Clay Craft family. val, Jeremy thought you might be able to comment. Mugs are marked, so definitely are, and all have that rough, dry, yellowish base.
Traditional & Clay Craft for Gallery Img_1451
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Sun 20 Jul - 20:26

Nice to see these mike. Yes the mugs are that classic clay craft/kiln craft shape. Do you think the rest of the items in your pic are from the same maker?
I have a collection of brown and gold glaze ware like this that I am still struggling with. I am just not totally convinced it is clay craft, mainly due to subtle differences in the glaze. Your 'spoons' jar looks very similar to mine from my unknown range. I also have the same ware in dark green. I will post some px tomorrow. Sorry to say I am not much help! This stuff is not that old so I am sure we will find someone who can give us a definitive answer.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1972
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Sun 20 Jul - 20:45

Thanks Val..the mugs. conical bowl. large jar and possibly spoons all look as if they are the same maker.Traditional?? Jeremy thought he recognised the salt & pepper as a later CC glaze. I have some green pieces in the rice container glaze that look very much like the salt and peppers if that makes sense. I guess a marked example will turn up soon!!
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 22 Jun - 15:29

I can see Beach pottery in this thread along with Clay Craft and Lowry .. gulps
Somehow I will have to sift through and sort it all out !!
Another pair of eyes or two would be helpful Neutral
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum