NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Studio Ceramics Villagio and Porto
Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? EmptyToday at 16:33 by signal red

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? EmptyToday at 16:22 by Ev

» Cornwall Collection d836 Contemporary Ceramics
Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? EmptyYesterday at 13:12 by Ev

» Mark James Canvastown Marlborough
Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? EmptySat 27 Apr - 7:23 by Ev

» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris?

2 posters

Go down

Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? Empty Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 30 Jun - 10:30

Could my white Paris ware be vitrified porcelain rather than white earthenware?
I don't think this question has been addressed elsewhere.

I have just bought some more straw-coloured Paris ware on trademe and have been trying to pin down dates on that and the Paris I already have. The new cups have a cursive Crown Lynn variant backstamp, so with the knowledge that both whiter clays and and the Crown Lynn stamp were used from 1948 I believe these new cups are made in that year. They have smooth sides rather than the typical Paris stepping or banding (although the saucers, 1943-50 backstamp, are banded).
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pottery-glass/auction-744767534.htm

I find it odd then that my white Paris ware has Ambrico "Made in New Zealand" backstamps. 

The 1949 movie shows cups being made, either 753 or Paris cups that have the same shape as the 753s: whichever they are they are smooth sided, as a lot of the cups sold as Paris are. The same movie also has some 752 or 754 cups. My white cup and saucer have the banding of the early Paris ware albeit in just three steps. By 1949 technology had moved on.

Re-reading Val in "Icon" I see that Crown Lynn developed vitrified porcelain in the war years. My saucer and porridge bowl are fully glazed so I can't examine the body material. But the cup has an unglazed footring: it has the same sparkly look as the footrings of my vitrified coffee cans. All of my three white Paris pieces have use marks but none of them has any crazing. They are all very sturdy and I have no issues using the bowl for my breakfast.
Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? Paris_10
I believe these white Paris pieces are vitrified: any comments?

All my Paris here:
https://www.newzealandpottery.net/t4662-more-ambrico-paris#16663

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Fri 3 Mar - 22:00; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : add photo)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? Empty Re: Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris?

Post  Ev Mon 30 Jun - 10:56

Page 18 in Val Monk's Icon mentions vitrified porcelain early on, so you are probably right Jeremy.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17733
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? Empty Re: Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris?

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 30 Jun - 11:10

Thank you Ev. I will keep an eye out for more. Love my vit.

And it looks as though I have a new best coffee cup:

to the grinder ...
Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? Coffee10
Hot coffee ... no worries!

---------
15/8/14
Alison Reid gave me these to work out what they are:Paris - Vitrified Paris Ware or Early White Earthenware Paris? Paris10
Clear glaze on white body, 43-50 stamps

The question is: are they white earthenware of vitrified.

The saucer is smaller, lighter, than my vit one and has crazing so I'm thinking E/W.
With the heat shock of hot coffee my vit cup showed no damage.

The plate has no crazing, but some knife marks. Still pondering.

A sticking point is that these are white and have Ambrico stamps but my most recent purchase of straw coloured cups has Crown Lynn stamps (although the accompanying saucers have Ambrico stamps).
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum