NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» BS? Is anyone able to help please…
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper EmptyToday at 16:06 by tabbyland

» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper

4 posters

Go down

Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper Empty Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper

Post  mike67 Sat 7 Jun - 17:11

Came across these the other day and thought they had a CC look about them? But then I also thought they looked a bit like Orzel! flat white base with obvious mold lines.  So much to learn!!
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper Img_1427
Also these. These have a rougher flat base in more yellow/buff clay. I have a few bits now with that distinct coloured base.
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper Img_1316
mike67
mike67

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2014-02-22

Back to top Go down

Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper Empty Re: Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper

Post  Maryr Sat 7 Jun - 20:48

Mike the glaze on top left and the orange glaze both look like kiln craft/clay craft but agreed we still have so much to learn. I believe there are other manufacturers we haven't even got on the radar yet.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper Empty Re: Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 7 Jun - 22:04

I think you're on the right track Mike.

The brown is pre-CC (Beach-KilnCraft), the yellow-orange is familiar but I can't place it.

I have seen some looking yellowy underneath too. May be the clay they used earlier on.
I have a beer mug that grows mould underneath at every opportunity.

You've posted so much in such a short time. Do you have some shelves to show us?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Tue 10 Jun - 22:09

Here are some of the yellowish based clay possible pre Clay Craft I had mentioned. Similar base as the 2nd yellow and white glazed salt and pepper. The pot on the right is in the gallery as a spice jar. Glazes look like CC family??
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper Img_1435
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper Img_1436
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper Img_1437
Then there are these. This salt and pepper and plate have the same glaze as the spoons jar and large container.
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper Img_1439
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper Img_1440
Bad light for the photos.

Jeremy, most of my shelves and cabinets have nearly all English, European and Oriental items in them. My NZ stuff has been packed up for ages and I am in the process of swapping some of the exotic for indigenous and finding an appealing way to show it. This forum has rekindled an interest. Just a jumble at the moment. I will put some photos up in another post in an appropriate area on the forum.
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  mike67 Wed 11 Jun - 17:06

These mugs are marked "BEACH". Small bowl unmarked must be as well as it is an exact match. Mugs H115 mm and bowl D135 mm. I think the mugs are in the gallery as both Beach and Kiln Craft. This glaze as Kiln Craft in the gallery but these are definitely Beach.
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper Img_1442

Leads me to believe these are all Beach. The small bowl has that rougher more yellow clay showing on the base. Mugs have a tidy foot ring.
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper Img_1443
mike67
mike67

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 11 Jun - 20:48

Mike, you've added some interesting new shapes there, the more interesting for the banding on the bodies.

It's hard to be sure about the glaze colours in the photos.

FYI. Beach and "Traditional" marks are very hard to read in the the glaze on some of the bases.

The additional rings on the spoons jar are new but the blobby writing seems to be a match for other items Val has proposed as Beach/KilnCraft, and I am inclined to agree.

The wee saucer appears to be a match for my Clay Craft one.

The pepper and salt look like a Clay Craft glaze rather than KilnCraft.

I have seen the tall barrel shaped container/vase before and assumed Beach-Clay Craft.

The semi conical bowl is nice, and appears to match the the tall pieces.

I think you need some comments from Val now.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 14 Sep - 16:54

mike67 wrote:
Clay Craft, Beach or Kiln Craft?? Salt & Pepper Img_1316

As the top glaze looks so like that on all the orange Beach pieces I was wondering if it was the same (Uranium oxide?) glaze with a different result. Mike's and Val's pieces appear to be a solid orange but mine is a mix of orange and yellow.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 22 Jun - 15:26

I need help with all of the pots in this thread please .... who made what?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum