NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Help with a Maker's Mark please ????
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? EmptyThu 25 Apr - 20:02 by LaLa

» Titian mug from fi ....
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? EmptyThu 25 Apr - 6:50 by Ev

» Studio Ceramics swans and dimensions
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? EmptySun 21 Apr - 14:36 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? EmptySat 20 Apr - 10:00 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? EmptySat 20 Apr - 9:48 by Maryr

» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? EmptyFri 19 Apr - 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? EmptyFri 19 Apr - 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? EmptyThu 18 Apr - 11:20 by Melita

Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ???

+3
Kat & Co.
Ev
mumof1
7 posters

Go down

Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Empty Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ???

Post  mumof1 Mon 13 Jan - 13:11

I have been meaning to post these for a while now, so will do them all together, a puzzle for the potters marks sleuths  Laughing 
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc08919
Cute little honey pot
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc08920
also has a 5 incised
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc08921
A little pot with wheat
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc08922
not sure I have this the right way round
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09119
This mug reminds me of Christine Harris
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09120
Vict?
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09121
nice little sauce bottle
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09122
and the mark
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09323
I think this is a wood fired vase
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09324
but I can't make out the name
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09123
Terracotta jug
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09124
with a distinctive mark
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09325
a bauble vase
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09326
but who is Tracy R?
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09327
A salt pig in terracotta
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09328
with this mark
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09415
and lastly, this wonderful little jug
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09416
I am sure I have seen this mark before, but I can't place it at the moment.
Whew!! That is quite a list isn't it?  sunny

Last edited by mumof1 on Sat 29 Apr - 11:56; edited 1 time in total
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2360
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Marsh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Empty Re: Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ???

Post  Ev Mon 13 Jan - 16:16

Gosh I've seen the last mark and all I can come up with is Jin Ling Zhang, but it doesn't look like her work and I can't find a mark of hers that matches.
Perhaps it is someone else's mark?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17728
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Empty Re: Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ???

Post  mumof1 Mon 13 Jan - 17:52

I thought it might have been John Ing, but not sure. The only info I can find on him is page 9 of this publication, he is a Nelson potter, so is likely. http://christchurchartgallery.org.nz/media/uploads/2010_08/1981-03-96.pdf

Last edited by mumof1 on Mon 13 Jan - 17:59; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add info)
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Mon 13 Jan - 18:38

Also found this one, scroll down, http://christchurchartgallery.org.nz/media/uploads/2010_08/1978-03-78.pdf
and also that John and his wife run a B&B in Pokororo, rural Motueka called Koa Mahi, and that his pottery also has the same name. Will work on this, and advise any info as I come across it.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Sun 18 May - 16:38

The last piece was made by Kathleen Ing, John's wife. I have just viewed a collection of pieces from both husband and wife. They all have the same distinctive little brown speckles in the clay, so they are easily recognised (by me now).
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Empty This is a pice by John Ing

Post  mumof1 Tue 12 Aug - 8:49

Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc02332
This lovely blue barrel is by John Ing, so now we have both husband & wife
Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc02333
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Tue 12 Aug - 9:09

is this by the same potter? I think it may be, the handles very similar.  cat 
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t5299-jf-mark-jug#19833
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Tue 12 Aug - 9:27

I'm not sure Kat, as I have only ever seen the hand incised mark, but I will try to find out for you. I know a lady who has a collection of Ing works, but every one she has is hand incised. I will ask when I see her next.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Sun 4 Jan - 18:11

This is a long shot, but number 4 looks a little like Rusty Richie
http://www.nzpotters.com/PottersMarks/PottersMark_Image.cfm?potterID=670

Last edited by mumof1 on Sun 4 Jan - 18:12; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong link)
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cat-a-lat Sun 4 Jan - 19:14

The name on the wood fired vase looks like Frances (and maybe an initial)
Cat-a-lat
Cat-a-lat

Number of posts : 1042
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Fri 28 Apr - 20:12

I think that the wood fired vase, #5 may be Francesca Costa, see this auction 1312689388, http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=1312689388 What do others think?
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 29 Apr - 6:02

Great spotting !!!
It appears that this mark didn't get into the Gallery as I can't find it anywhere.
I will rectify this asap and also check to see if the other marks are there too.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Sat 29 Apr - 8:49

It is in the mystery marks gallery under 'Lance something'. I will move it if you are happy that it is Francesca.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 29 Apr - 9:50

Yes please as the writing and the style are a match.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 29 Jan - 15:56

Hi Anne, is there any way that you can check if the Vict mark is by Vic Evans?
Miranda g had a plate with that mark and his sticker on it. I'm not familiar enough with his work to make the call, but I do know that he was a good pottery painter.
Let me repost your photo here to remind you ...

Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Vict_m10

Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Vict_b10
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 12 Nov - 10:39

Victor has been confirmed as Vic Evans. I will move the mark to the main Gallery.
Ev
Ev
Admin

mumof1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Empty Wood-fired Pot

Post  R L Pike Thu 31 Dec - 22:10

Have been trawling through the website .. photo No. 9 has a description of "wood-fired Pot" ... this is "Pit-fired" as opposed to wood-fired. Cheers.

R L Pike

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2014-11-27

Ev and Cat-a-lat like this post

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Empty Sauce Bottle

Post  Robyn J Sat 13 Feb - 15:45

Hi,
I am pretty sure that the sauce bottle is one by Marjorie Johnston. The mark looks to be hers and the design (bottle shape and glaze ) is in her style. Her mark was a dog's head with the ears being 'M' while the jaw and muzzle was the 'J' on its side, her initials. She was actively involved in Craft Potters in Hope, Nelson from around 1975/6 - 1994/5. During that time she made, along with husband Gordon, a considerable amount of domestic ware that they sold around New Zealand. They both threw pots but, Marjorie did the designs on the pots. Not all of their pottery was marked. As far as I remember they used the same potters mark. I am a daughter. Hope this helps. Robyn

Robyn J

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2021-02-02

Hannele likes this post

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Empty Sauce Bottle.........

Post  R L Pike Sat 13 Feb - 16:23

Is there an image? Can't find one ................. Cheers Smile

R L Pike

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2014-11-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 13 Feb - 16:26

I think the sauce bottle is the 7th photo down.
I was hoping Anne would come along to clarify.
Posting so many together makes things very difficult.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Sat 13 Feb - 19:53

Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Dsc09110

I don't really see the mark from the description, but it could be.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Fri 21 Apr - 14:35

geek I get it now, the little dog is the middle (with imagination) and an M over the top and J on the right.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know these potters please? Francesca Costa, Kathleen Ing and ??? Empty Ing Pots!

Post  Marsh Sun 23 Jul - 12:45

I have a few Ing pots from way back when. 70's-90's
John and Kathleen had their pottery on the West bank of the Motueka River.
They were friends of my parents, who lived in Upper Moutere back then and would sometimes visit, etc.
The last time I saw Kathleen was when my then-fiance and I visited their place on the river in, like, 1997. John wasn't there that day, unfortunately, but Kathleen was as lovely as ever.
I haven't been back since, as after getting married we had kids and moved to the North Island, etc.

Marsh

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2023-07-23

Ev and mumof1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum