NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 EmptyToday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 EmptyToday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 EmptyToday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 EmptyYesterday at 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 EmptyYesterday at 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 EmptyYesterday at 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424

5 posters

Go down

Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 Empty Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424

Post  Ev Mon 26 Aug - 16:10

It is such a rarity to see this pattern, that I had to get it while at the Antique Fair yesterday.
I've only seen this pattern on a Salt & Pepper and a mustard pot before thanks to Jeremy and hon-john, but now here is a Lidded Ramekin, so who knows, there may be a whole dinner set out there somewhere ?

Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 Rameki10

the base -
Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 Rameki11

Here is a close up of the all around pattern to compare it to the Rorstand mug of Jeremy's.
Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 Rameki12

Please note that I've made a Cook & Serve category to make it easier to find these topics.

Edits to add after searching on Google I found that Andrew told Val on her blog that he has a baking dish in this pattern.

Last edited by Ev on Tue 29 Mar - 17:44; edited 3 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 Empty Re: Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424

Post  Ev Mon 26 Aug - 16:36

The Tango Blue Cook & Serve pieces on this postcard could well be the range in this pattern!
Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 Cook_a10
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 Empty Jeremy did!

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 26 Aug - 16:50

Ev wrote:It is such a rarity to see this pattern, that I had to get it while at the Antique Fair yesterday.
I don't suppose you want to sell it then.
My son broke the lid of mine a few years back.

The blue Tango scene in the photo looks a bit like my Blue Tango shelf,
but I display with Blue Tango Coffee Pot and a c/s duo.
I've been reluctant to buy the oven dish shown as the one for sale on tm has pressure marks.
Now, the casserole/s: is that two sizes shown and do we have any shape numbers?
(I'm not sure of seen the casserole with full open handles in other patterns.)
And can you put a date on the picture?
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 Empty Re: Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424

Post  bopmum Mon 26 Aug - 16:59

Gosh I really wish I was one of those ladies, happily sitting and painting.
bopmum
bopmum

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 26 Aug - 17:20

Hmmmm as it cost a [cough] pretty penny, no I don't want to sell it atm Jeremy sorry, maybe later though.
That postcard is from the early to mid 1960's going by the beehive hair-do's Wink

I found those Cook & Serve shape numbers on this Price List for Autumn Splendour Cook & Serve here -
http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/account/3384/object/2306/Price_list_-_1966#!prettyPhoto
it doesn't include the Ramekin and shows the Casseroles that we have in the Gallery with the other kind of handle.  I honestly don't think I've seen those strap handles on anything else, though I think they were on the Museum photo of the shapes.
Let me translate the Price List for shape numbers -
Casserole 2pt - 869
Casserole 4pt 870
Mustard Pot 871
Salt & Pepper 872
Oval Baker Sm 873
Oval Baker Med 874
Oval Baker Lge 875
Oval Steak Plate 10" 785/10
[Lidded Ramekin is shape 868 and the lid is shape 876]
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 26 Aug - 18:07

Re Rorstrand Tango:
I wasn't expecting you to, and glad to see I'm not the only one who pays a high price now and then.
Thanks for a reminder of what it looks like. Nice condition I think.

Shapes: Thanks.
Now I have to look out for another casserole.
And the "bakers". Three stacked would look nice.
I have a set of three Red Tango bakers but they are under-glaze transfer, as I believe all the Red Tango was, and different "shapes".
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 26 Aug - 19:09

The ramekin looks like it has never been used and there was a lidded Green Bamboo one that looked unused as well ....  they had an amazing stall with all sorts of Crown Lynn and some Luke Adams kiddies Bricks and jugs and vases it was mesmerizing!  They bring their wares to this fair every year from Akaroa and it's always my favourite :loveit:
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 Empty Tango Condiments

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sat 19 Oct - 0:49

Crown Lynn unashamedly used Marianne Westman's Rorstrand "Tango" pattern without attribution.
The photo shows two pepper, salt and mustard sets in Crown Lynn Cook and Serve:
Westman's "Tango" left and Crown Lynn "Blue Tango" right.
On the left
Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 Condim10
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Glenys Sat 19 Oct - 13:16

Wow, that's amazing. She deserves retribution!

Glenys

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 24 Nov - 14:23

A shame that there isn't a lid and it would probably be that lovely burgundy colour if it had one, just like my ramekin lid ....
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=666388886

Edits to fix the link ......

Last edited by Ev on Sun 24 Nov - 14:41; edited 2 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 24 Nov - 14:31

It's a beauty.
If I bought that I could have two without lids. Too expensive of course.
Are you familiar with that shape? It's like a miniature of my Blue Tango one.
I think the big one is the 852. Would that make it the 836?

---------------
Afterthoughts
---------------

Ev, you'd be the expert here of course (and may even have the documentation tucked away somewhere) but I'm thinking that as my large loop-handled casserole is hand-painted Blue Tango it is probably an early piece of Cook & Serve, so this might also then be an early piece. What that rather long sentence brings us to is the possibility that Crown Lynn was using Marianne Westman's Tango pattern for as long as they were using the coffee can shape they took it from. I had always assumed they absorbed it late in the piece.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Sun 24 Nov - 19:48; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 24 Nov - 19:50

Read the "afterthought" I've added above and I'll delete this later!
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 24 Nov - 20:18

I'm no more of an 'expert' than you are Jeremy.  Val would have the most informative background of anyone I know, from research and other means.  I'm always delving into Val's books for information and I did again just now.  I only have a limited range of resources available, but I agree with Val about 1963 being the beginning of the Cook & Serve range and patterns.  Yes that special pattern as well.  I have no idea just how long they made this range, but it must have been popular and they added the Pioneer type glaze too at some stage.  I liken Cook & Serve to high fired stoneware as it feels like stone rather than porous earthenware.  It's a real quality product !
This is the 852
http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t3413-852-scallop-and-handle-courtesy-of-haselnuss-and-ynotbrich?highlight=ynotbrich
The handles look a bit different to this one so it could have a different number ..... arghhhh
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 24 Nov - 21:59

If haselnuss and ynotbrich's ones are 852 then mine is not.
The sides of mine are ALMOST straight up and down.

The (Westman) "Tango" casserole on trademe is 17.5 x 8 cm. My Blue Tango one is 27.5 x 9.5 cm.
Same shape different size. I can't find either. Clearly they are not 836s.
I don't know what they are!

I do not know clay types and mixes.
I know the Cook & Serve cans and saucers are vitreous china of some sort,
because I can see the glass sparkle, and because, like porcelain, they don't craze.
The Rorstrand cans are a dense very white clay and they craze badly.
The bake ware does seem to be a different formula again,
and I know at least that stoneware is white. But that's it for me.
Don't know the difference between Vitrified and Supervitrified either.

(Crazing is something I'd like to discuss sometime. But not here.
It may be appropriate to have a separate topic to discuss that.)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 6 Jan - 16:38

Just popping in from the Museum to say that this pattern is called VISION :party:
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 Empty Thanks Ev

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 7 Jan - 12:20

Thanks Ev for putting pattern to name.
I have updated the following post: http://newzealandpottery.forumotion.net/t4225-vision-a-name-without-a-pattern
I commented there on what a cheek it was for Crown Lynn to use both shape and pattern from Rorstrand.
The ultimate cheek would be Vision on a Cook & Serve can.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Tue 7 Jan - 13:12; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : I screwed up, again)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 7 Jan - 14:52

The pamphlet showed all of the shapes in the Vision pattern and the wasn't a coffee can. Still don't have a number for this but I'm not worried about that.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 29 Mar - 17:43

Today while at the Portage Museum a catalogue showing Vision d424 Cook & Serve shapes and Blue Tango d423 turned up.
This shows the shapes and shape numbers and which colours were used where.
I notice that they say that the Blue Tango is handpainted as are the colours on Vision.
It was uplifting to find a number for Vision at last !!!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Mon 4 Nov - 14:18

Ive been looking for ages through my museum notes plus the galleries to find the shape or a photo of the casserole dishes in this photo

Jeremy will enjoy seeing this Ramekin with the Rorstand design that is called VISION d424 Vision10

Ev… please help me !!   hahaha
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2110
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 4 Nov - 15:47

869 and 870 the earlier edition.

I just found my first 869 recently.

Later they had a solid handle that came off the top.

I will message you pics.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum