NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
Dorothy Thorpe EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Dorothy Thorpe EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Dorothy Thorpe EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Dorothy Thorpe EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Dorothy Thorpe EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Dorothy Thorpe EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Dorothy Thorpe EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Dorothy Thorpe EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Dorothy Thorpe EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

Dorothy Thorpe

5 posters

Go down

Dorothy Thorpe Empty Dorothy Thorpe

Post  bopmum Tue 20 Aug - 22:10

I've taken a real fancy to the Dorothy Thorpe range, and have managed to get quite a few plates, bowls & saucers in the Palm Springs pattern. This is the most affordable pattern for my budget so I thought why not. If anyone sees a ball handled cup/s in this range I love to hear from you or actually any cups in the Palm Springs range would be good.
bopmum
bopmum

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2013-07-28

Back to top Go down

Dorothy Thorpe Empty Re: Dorothy Thorpe

Post  Marl474 Wed 21 Aug - 18:17

Over several years of watching Dorothy Thorpe auctions,I have never yet seen a ball handle cup in Palm Springs or Pine colours.Were any made?I have seen the very occasional wider cup with the loop handle,but mainly the cups are shape 25.Does anyone know differently?
Marl474
Marl474

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2011-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post  bopmum Wed 21 Aug - 18:20

I'm guessing then your correct, I have not seen one but I just assumed that there would be one. I guess I'll just hunt for any type of cup. Thanks
bopmum
bopmum

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducks Nuts Sat 24 Aug - 12:41

Take it from me, there is ball handle cups and saucers in both Palm Springs and Pine, yes they're very rare and yes you will have a serious battle on your hands to own them if they come up for auction.
Ducks Nuts
Ducks Nuts

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  bopmum Sat 24 Aug - 13:24

Fantastic I had almost decided to change from collecting palm springs, I might hang in there now. I will look forward to the challenge of hunting one down.
bopmum
bopmum

Back to top Go down

Post  signal red Sat 24 Aug - 16:54

A few sundays ago there was a talk about D T at the auckland art gallery it was said that there are no pine ball handles and another colour palm springs the last to colours were not D T but Mark Cleverly this is also in Gails book pg 205 and you will find his name on the decal .

signal red

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 25 Aug - 9:12

I see that you found a loop handle Palm Springs cup and saucer bop Wink

I've found several ball handled Palm Springs jugs on google and the Coffee Pot, but no cups yet.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17667
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  bopmum Sun 25 Aug - 9:19

yes and ever since I bid on it, I've doubted whether to stick with the collection.  Given the previous postings.  I was lucky enough to win this auction for $40 http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=625679481
and this morning this incredile trader emailed me and said that she had a serving plate and a sugar bowl for me to c:D ome and collect for free!  So I think so far the odds are in my favour.  I will stick with it.
bopmum
bopmum

Back to top Go down

Post  Ducks Nuts Tue 27 Aug - 12:06

If you just stick to the Palm Springs pattern you will find that acquiring pieces is relatively easy, you won't find much competition for them until you come to anything ball handled and then it becomes a savage fight to get even a finger on them.

Palm Springs is probably the most commonly found pieces of Dorothy Thorpe, along with the Pine pattern.

If you want to collect a set of it, you stand a very good chance by just picking up the ones and twos as you find them, before you know it you will have a dozen of each piece and a lovely set. I can't speak for other serious collectors, but I can say that I'm not into collecting great numbers of the same thing, especially plates, although I do hold multiples in some things, its something I try to avoid.
Ducks Nuts
Ducks Nuts

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  bopmum Tue 27 Aug - 14:53

thanks Ducks Nuts, I figured it was the easiest set to collect for a beginner like myself. I do intend on using it when the in laws visit for dinner, so I will collect a fairly good set and a couple of spares. It would just be nice to get those extra nice pieces as well. I don't think we would try and use anything ball handled though lol.
bopmum
bopmum

Back to top Go down

Post  bopmum Sat 31 Aug - 16:39

After thinking about ducks nuts comments, I think I will downgrade my hunt for Palm Springs. I already have 3 sets of CL in the cupboard that we use everyday. So I am going to keep 1 large dinner plate and 1 side plate as these have the DT stamp on them and they will take up little room. I won a oval cup the other day and I also have a gravy jug and plate knocking around somewhere. This will give me room for other DT patterns.
bopmum
bopmum

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum