NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is this black dish Crown Lynn 356 “Wet and Dry”
Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted! EmptyToday at 15:01 by kitsch

» Is this Titian Studio? No it's Diana Pottery Australia!
Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted! EmptyToday at 11:51 by kitsch

» Help to identify mark on this NZ vase please
Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted! EmptyToday at 10:34 by kitsch

» Is this “Shell” shaped vase NZ pottery
Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted! EmptyToday at 10:14 by kitsch

» Is this large brown painted bowl Crown Lynn please?
Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted! EmptyToday at 10:10 by kitsch

» Is this Crown Lynn Shape No. 42?
Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted! EmptyToday at 8:21 by kitsch

» Is this Crown Lynn shape no.10!
Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted! EmptyToday at 8:19 by kitsch

» Temuka Maori motif wall vase
Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted! EmptyYesterday at 16:15 by Ev

» Temuka ware factory seconds
Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted! EmptyYesterday at 7:53 by Melita

Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted!

5 posters

Go down

Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted! Empty Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted!

Post  Ev Thu 28 Feb - 8:47

Both of these glaze techniques are so stunning and I would really like to try to work out how they were done, so please let me know if you see any.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17629
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted! Empty Re: Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted!

Post  Glenys Thu 28 Feb - 20:53

I'm thinking of marbling paper.
You float an oil based dye or paint on top of water.
You can 'comb' it with a cardboard comb or drag a stick through it to make a pattern.
Then you float the paper on top and peel it off and _ you have beautifully marbled paper.
How would this work with glaze?
You would need media that don't mix.
Lets just say a bowl of water and glaze materials mixed in oil.
The pot isn't flat like paper so you couldn't control the pattern but you could dip the pot in the tub, turning it around and the oily stuff adheres to the pot.
The oil would burn off in the firing leaving a random pattern of glaze over the pot!
Mmmm bears thinking about What a Face

Glenys

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2012-08-29

Back to top Go down

Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted! Empty Re: Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted!

Post  Ev Fri 1 Mar - 19:30

Well that's a match for doing marbled lustres Glenys, but this technique is nothing like that effect .... I have ideas, just as I do with the woodgrain effect, but need close up info to get a better idea.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  peters Sat 2 Mar - 11:19

I beleive that the woodgrain glaze may have been made with a feather. I have this in my mind somehow so it must have come from somewhere. I hope to be in the museum next week to have a look through their back of house stuff and am going to access the Exhibition info so may find out for certain then.

peters

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 2 Mar - 11:49

Aha!!! Thanks peters as that may be the clue that I was looking for !!!!!
Lucky you going into the depths of the Museum cheers
A report on this venture would be appreciated Smile
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  peters Sat 2 Mar - 16:16

I will be taking I pad and photographing all the info. It was really pleasing that the Museum staff were so welcoming to a visit. I'll be recording everything and once I have time hope to catalogue all the research done over the years with an up to date catalogue of wares.
Can't wait!

peters

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sat 2 Mar - 20:16

Brilliant!! Awesome!! Fantastic!!! bounce
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Mon 4 Mar - 7:20

Do you want a specimen just to look at Ev, or a second to dissect? Willing to send you my vase if you won't have a hammer in hand while examining it Razz
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 4 Mar - 9:18

As both of these glaze techniques seem to be extremely rare I won't take you up on your offer sunshine, but thanks anyway. I don't mind broken, cracked or chipped .... it's just for research purposes. I won't be smashing any pottery .... only by accident do I do that!!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted! Empty Woodgrain technique

Post  peters Wed 27 Mar - 15:22

hi ev,

Well i still have one file to research at the museum as i run out of time. But it was very interesting and im just trying to plan what to do with all the information. Ill let you know as soon as i do.

i had a discussion with a member of the brown family yesterday who was in actual fact taught how to paint by teddy rennie!
he recalls the technique used to make the woodgrain glaze. they used an artists shading brush which is a flat brush up to an inch wide. if you can imagine having a lot of glaze on one side and less on the other the decorator flipped the brush to acheive the grain mark. a truly steady hand must have been needed for this when you look at some of the better woodgrain pieces.

Hope that clears things up.

Ev wrote:Brilliant!! Awesome!! Fantastic!!! bounce

peters

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 27 Mar - 15:35

Wow thanks for that peters cheers
It's as clear as mud, so I will have to try it out to see what happens Wink
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 27 May - 15:41

I managed to win a woodgrain Titian vase yesterday, so I'm just chasing after a marbled one now Very Happy
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Titian Woodgrain and Titian Marble glazed ware wanted! Empty Titian Woodgrain

Post  dollcrown Wed 29 May - 19:31

I believe two woodgain patterns were made, a darker mahogany woodgrain and a lighter oak woodgrain.

dollcrown

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum