NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is this black dish Crown Lynn 356 “Wet and Dry”
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  EmptyToday at 15:01 by kitsch

» Is this Titian Studio? No it's Diana Pottery Australia!
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  EmptyToday at 11:51 by kitsch

» Help to identify mark on this NZ vase please
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  EmptyToday at 10:34 by kitsch

» Is this “Shell” shaped vase NZ pottery
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  EmptyToday at 10:14 by kitsch

» Is this large brown painted bowl Crown Lynn please?
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  EmptyToday at 10:10 by kitsch

» Is this Crown Lynn Shape No. 42?
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  EmptyToday at 8:21 by kitsch

» Is this Crown Lynn shape no.10!
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  EmptyToday at 8:19 by kitsch

» Temuka Maori motif wall vase
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  EmptyYesterday at 16:15 by Ev

» Temuka ware factory seconds
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  EmptyYesterday at 7:53 by Melita

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan

+4
haselnuss
Kat & Co.
mumof1
Ev
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  Empty This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan

Post  Ev Sun 3 Feb - 18:34

Although the glaze is not one that I'm familiar with ......?

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  Shell_10

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  Shell_11

Last edited by Ev on Mon 20 Mar - 17:35; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17629
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  Empty Re: This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan

Post  mumof1 Sun 3 Feb - 20:51

I noticed a similar shell vase on TM recently, but the glaze looked wrong and it was unmarked
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/vases/auction-554290332.htm I just wasn't sure about it, as all mine just have a different look to them.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  Empty Re: This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan

Post  Ev Mon 4 Feb - 6:03

How does the base compare to the ones you have sunny? I have an Anselmi that I will take a look at after work tonight. I see that they were made for Salisbury's, so colours could be very varied .....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Mon 4 Feb - 10:38

I am away camping at the moment, but will post a photo when I get back in the next few days. From memory the bases on mine are like the vases, i.e. the base is slightly concave and has a definite edge to it.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Mon 4 Feb - 16:10

My Anselmi shell vase which is the same as the Crown Lynn 631 has an unglazed footring and inside this ring the base is glazed.
Kat it looks like the base on your one is flat ..... is that right?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Mon 4 Feb - 19:48

Yes flat & unglazed on the bottom...
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Number of posts : 2311
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 6 Feb - 15:49

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  Dsc03911
Here are 5 of my shells, all slightly different in colouring on stands and shells, but nothing like that of Kat & Co.
This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  Dsc03912
And all have the same base, this one seems less defined than the others, but all have the number 631 on them also. None have a CL stamp. My thought would be that it is not Crown Lynn, but having said that, a couple of my unmarked miniatures (the photo I sent for the waifs topic) have bases which look like Kat's shell, so who knows! sunny
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Wed 6 Feb - 16:12

Is it possible that it is decorated at Salisbury or similar with this sraypainted matt finish? cheers kat
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Wed 6 Feb - 16:16

Have just noticed this listing, which looks just like my shells...
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=559982532
Kat, I think all of mine are painted rather than glazed, possibly by Salisbury, as they have the odd little pin head of paint loss on some, which seems to be the case with most of them. Would that be right Ev?
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Wed 6 Feb - 16:28

yes the green & gold is painted on white body..thanks for help
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 6 Feb - 19:56

Salisburys bought high fired bisque ware from Crown Lynn and then painted them before selling them. There is a huge range that was painted by Salisburys. The early pieces have pictures of flowers etc painted on them and the later pieces from the 1960's are recognisable more for their colours. Unfortunately the paint they used doesn't last like glaze does and bits fall off and many pieces look worse for wear ....
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  Empty Shells together...

Post  Kat & Co. Tue 26 Mar - 9:25

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  Shell_10
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 26 Mar - 9:54

Hmmm there is some size variation with those two ....
I have measurements at home ... just have to remember to find them ..
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Tue 26 Mar - 10:03

The whole design is slightly different isn't it? It couldn't be Australian could it? I have seen several on e-bay and then realised they were Raynham or Diana. Will post a link if I come across one.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Tue 26 Mar - 11:53

I still think its just an early example, they must have used different moulds over the years.. when you look into the interior the shape is identical...  theres just less detail on this smaller version maybe?

Last edited by Kat & Co. on Wed 14 Sep - 14:20; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad spelln)
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Tue 26 Mar - 11:58

Yes, if it is an Ambrico or specials dept, they tend to be smaller than the later versions of just about everything I have, in comparison. A great mystery, and we will solve it one day I'm sure! sunny
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 27 Mar - 8:31

Crown Lynn records have the measurement 5" for the 631 Shell vase with scallops and snails and was first made in 1961.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Wed 27 Mar - 9:26

Yes the bigger one is 5" smaller 4.5" cat
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Wed 26 Feb - 14:07

This Shell vase is interesting with early Royal Oak Sticker & is painted..HHhhmmm.. Cool 
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/crown-lynn/vases/auction-699024527.htm

Last edited by Kat & Co. on Wed 26 Feb - 14:27; edited 1 time in total
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 26 Feb - 14:19

Are all of the 631's painted by Royal Oak/Salisbury .... I ask out loud?

Some shapes seem to have been made just for Owen Salisbury, actually there would be quite a few if I took the time to find them.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  haselnuss Wed 26 Feb - 14:33

Hello, I have got a marked 631 brown trickle glaze shell vase. When I first saw it I thought it was an Orzel glaze.

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  Dscn0724

Last edited by haselnuss on Thu 27 Feb - 16:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Photo added)
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  mumof1 Thu 27 Feb - 16:16

This looks like the 631 Shell vase - but it was made by Spartan  Dsc00112
Hi everyone, I have just been into Richmond, and viewed the Royal Oak shell vase that is up for auction. It is 4 1/2" high and has a FLAT base with a casting line through the middle, just like  Kat's and the one on the right in the photo sent by haselnuss, no foot ring. The base is totally unmarked, and the seller is going to add a photo of the base to the auction soon.  sunny 
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Thu 27 Feb - 16:33

Excellent!! So... who made this shape first???  cat 
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 27 Feb - 17:02

Who made this shape first? Well as I said earlier, Crown Lynn made this shape for Royal Oak in September 1961. Royal Oak would have then painted them in a variety of colours and would put their Royal Oak sticker on them. Now that brown with a contrasting colour daubed on top is a weird one. It's not a triple glaze it's what we call one glaze on top of another. Could this have been fired by Royal Oak I wonder? Actually I have no idea as I haven't seen that combination before!
Now when did Royal Oak start making their own pottery again? I think it was in the 1960's but later rather than earlier. Royal Oak is synonymous when it comes to flat horrible bottoms!
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kat & Co. Thu 27 Feb - 17:14

So did CL copy Royal Oak?  Suspect yes it looks like a Royal Oak bottom..
Kat & Co.
Kat & Co.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum