NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

» Martin McLean
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware EmptyYesterday at 8:48 by Ev

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware

+5
Thelma
Maryr
sid
mrnarna
Ev
9 posters

Go down

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Empty Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware

Post  Ev Sun 4 Nov - 8:09

These pieces have numbers on them in the low 100's. For example 110 through to around 119.  None of this range has turned up on the site yet and I have doubts that they are in fact Crown Lynn.  
Haha I seem to have a bee in my bonnet at the moment about numbers don't I Razz

Last edited by Ev on Wed 5 Oct - 12:08; edited 3 times in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Empty Re: Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware

Post  mrnarna Sun 4 Nov - 9:57

im convinced i have a piece but have no idea where it is at the moment
mrnarna
mrnarna

Number of posts : 655
Registration date : 2010-05-04

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mrnarna/

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Empty Re: Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware

Post  Ev Mon 5 Nov - 10:48

Would love to see a pic one day narna....
when you are not too busy taking amazing photos of our beautiful country.
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sid Thu 8 Nov - 16:35

Hi Ev

Here are a couple of vases that come under the Metropolitan or Metropolis series.
Not sure if they are Crown Lynn or not.

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware P1040410number
number 119
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware P1040411
Number 111

sid

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Thu 8 Nov - 18:21

Thank you so much sid Smile
Also thanks for the tip re Metropolis .... I will use it to search for more info.
Don't think I've seen the shape 115 before ...?
Do they have dots before and after the number sid?
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Fri 9 Nov - 7:40

This is a tall lampbase and was sent to the site by hon-john. He acquired it from a relative of the Brown's [as he referred to Nana Brown] who got boxes of Orzel pottery when the factory closed down.
The glaze is different, but the shape and pattern looked familiar when I saw it.
I want to put it in here for reference.

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware An_orz10
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Empty More Metro pics

Post  Maryr Fri 23 Nov - 8:49

I too am wondering whether these vases are Crown Lynn... am investigating. Meanwhile here are some more px. Now I have finally learned how to do this!
Thanks to collector Andrew for allowing me to photograph these. This is my favourite. It's about 13 cm high. I have a brown one, not nearly as gorgeous.
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Z_odds10
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Z_odds11
Here is another, I have seen it in deep purplish blue, a honey colour similar to the Titian honey glaze (but I don't believe it is the same) and this green. Measurements 8 cm high, 14 long, 11 wide.
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Z_odds12
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Z_odds13
There is also a beaker about 14 cm tall.
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Z_odds14
Can't see a number on the base of the beaker. Last pic, a larger dish thingie, 10 cm high and 17 across. This is that honey-ish colour I was talking about.
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Z_odds15

Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryr Fri 23 Nov - 13:10

I sent these pics to Cam Brown and he has absolutely no doubt that his family made them in the 1970s after they left Titian and set up Orzel. He said they were called Manhattan then. He is not sure how they became Metropolitan. You can never guarantee that one person's memory is totally correct but in this case he is very certain, and he was there making them. I asked him about the numbers, he said that Orzel's were pretty random.
Maryr
Maryr

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2011-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Thelma Sun 25 Nov - 10:25

Now I'm peeved, I saw 2 pieces of this stuff at the church fair yesterday and passed them over as being too japanese! Rolling Eyes
Thelma
Thelma

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Wed 27 Mar - 14:07

So wish I had used my phone camera today, when I saw 4 super sized ramekins in the metropolitan orangey with a brown contrast colourings today!  I will try and remember to take photos next week.  Incidentally they all had 104. on the base and naturally they will be mistaken as Crown Lynn, but are made by Orzel.

Last edited by Ev on Thu 17 Jul - 16:41; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Empty 113 bowl courtesy of haselnuss ...

Post  Ev Mon 15 Apr - 13:58

haselnuss sent this photo to the site and I want to let her know that it is indeed made by Orzels.  Please read this entire topic haselnuss.  

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware 113_ba10

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware 113_ti11

Last edited by Ev on Thu 17 Jul - 16:41; edited 1 time in total
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Empty 113 bowl courtesy of haselnuss ...

Post  haselnuss Mon 15 Apr - 18:17

I like the green coloured 113! Titian and Orzel pottery have the most amazing glaze variations.
haselnuss
haselnuss

Number of posts : 970
Registration date : 2012-09-12

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Empty So have I found the 110 ??

Post  mumof1 Mon 7 Oct - 10:59

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Dsc07910
I took a gamble on this one, and bought it from a picture, hoping my eyes had not deceived me. Stands an impressive 230mm high.
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Dsc07911
The glaze is rather thick, but a 110. for sure.
mumof1
mumof1
Admin

Number of posts : 2359
Registration date : 2011-03-21

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Empty Manhattan from the Retro Fair

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 11 Nov - 12:36

I had no difficulty buying these pieces from the Fair because the colours are so great.
The large expensive piece (119 I think) didn't encourage me enough to part with $55.
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Manhat10
112 and 113. I know we have the shapes already but I wanted to show off the glazes.

I have some more Manhattan on the way, just the same shapes, but in a variety of glazes. I'll post those by number when they arrive to show the variations.

Last edited by Jeremy Ashford on Mon 11 Nov - 12:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Empty the colours of Manhattan

Post  Jeremy Ashford Tue 10 Dec - 15:32

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Manhat11
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Manhat12
112 top and 113 above

Cheap, but a long time coming ... as promised:

Colours of Manhattan

I'd rather have more shapes but this will do for now.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPots Mon 30 Dec - 9:24

Jeremy ... Is this one of those Manhattan jugs that you are collecting ?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/pottery-glass/porcelain-pottery/other-nz-manufacturers/auction-678876748.htm
JanPots
JanPots

Number of posts : 2105
Registration date : 2012-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 30 Dec - 21:43

Yes Janice, a 112,
I've been watching it for some months and never got around to buying it.
It is a glaze I do not have too. Postage bumps the price and the seller lives a bit far for a quick pickup so it has remained in the too hard basket.
I actually picked up another Manhattan down your way this afternoon on a return drive from National Park. Yet another 113 vase/bowl in a different glaze from the only second hand shop remaining in Putaruru. With no op-shops open and few second hand shops left I needed a buying "fix".
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware Empty Two more Manhattan Colours

Post  Jeremy Ashford Mon 27 Jan - 13:57

The jug is the one Janice mentioned above.
The vase is from Putaruru.
Does anyone have any of the so called Crown Lynn Metropolitan series which is in fact Orzel Manhattan ware -910
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum