NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

» Fabulous early Teapot by Len Castle
Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. EmptyYesterday at 8:55 by Ev

Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp ..

3 posters

Go down

Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. Empty Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp ..

Post  Ev Mon 6 Feb - 12:17

hon-john sent these photos to the site, asking if I had ever seen it and why it would have Rotorua on the backstamp.
Yes I have seen a few of these listed on Trademe, but never any reason for Rotorua to be on the backstamp.
It's a 664 shape and the backstamp is in the same colour and script as the backstamp on the Royal Visit Urn which was made for the Queen's visit in 1963 and quite possibly was made around the same time.
Can anyone shed any light as to the reason for this?
I can only think that perhaps the vase was made to commemorate a special occassion....?

Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. C_lynn11

Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. C_lynn12

The backstamp on the Royal Visit Urn ...
Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. Royal_15
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. Empty Re: Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp ..

Post  TonyK Tue 7 Feb - 10:25

I have a vague and unreliable memory of this being described as being made for a conference - maybe to do with forestry, tourism or energy?
TonyK
TonyK

Number of posts : 652

Back to top Go down

Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. Empty Re: Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp ..

Post  Ev Tue 7 Feb - 11:29

Brilliant Tony, as it only took google a second to find it, as conference 1963 Rotorua were the key words +crown lynn..... which took me to two Trademe listings with the info and one of these were on google images cheers

This vase was made for the 50th Municipal Conference 12th -14th March 1963, held at Rotorua!

Just love it when a problem is solved :loveit:
Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Vase with Rotorua Crown Lynn Potteries backstamp .. Empty Crown Lynn 664 vase for Rotorua Borough Council

Post  Rosed Tue 11 Dec - 13:02

Hi, I work at Rotorua Museum and we have two of these vases in our collection. It seems like they were commissioned by Rotorua Borough Council for the 50th Municipal Conference in 1963. Ours have different stamps on the base, one says 'Rotorua New Zealand Crown Lynn Potteries" on the base. The other says "50th Municipal Conference Rotorua 1963 Crown Lynn Potteries". I assume from what has been said in this thread, that the whole shape was commissioned by the Council. All we have in our files are letters from Crown Lynn asking for the invoice to be paid!

Rosemary Deane
Collections Curator - Social History
Rotorua Museum Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa

Rosed

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2016-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Tue 11 Dec - 14:27

Ev
Ev
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum