NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Large colourful vase signed “Ev”? 1990 who is the potter please?
No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel EmptyToday at 10:27 by Ev

» Large striking vase with unknown mark and incised “RATA”:
No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel EmptyToday at 10:25 by Ev

» Steenstra majestic Vase
No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel EmptyToday at 7:13 by Ev

» Temuka Elephant
No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel EmptyYesterday at 11:20 by Melita

» Can anyone identify my favourite vase? Answer Bryce Stevens
No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel EmptyYesterday at 9:18 by Ev

» Catherine Anselmi and Carla Clee 1989
No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel EmptyYesterday at 9:09 by Ev

» Deer and Fawn was made in Japan.
No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel EmptyWed 17 Apr - 21:18 by mumof1

» A Mayon Ceramics Gallery has been added
No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel EmptyWed 17 Apr - 20:00 by bsan012

» Does anyopne recognise this work?
No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel EmptyWed 17 Apr - 16:10 by clyde

No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel

4 posters

Go down

No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel Empty No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel

Post  Thelma Thu 3 Feb - 22:14

These salt and pepper men have been in my collection for years.

No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel Crownl14

back

No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel Crownl15
Thelma
Thelma

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2010-04-23

Jeremy Ashford likes this post

Back to top Go down

No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel Empty Re: No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel

Post  TonyK Thu 3 Feb - 22:36

Hi Thelma

In Gail Henry's New Zealand Pottery in the Orzel Industries Ltd Product section under Figurines (p173) it says: "Political caricature cartoon figurines of Prime Ministers Muldoon and Rowling, c1970s, sold well and made in quantity."

It doesn't say that they were s&p shakers or give any indication of the size but that's the closest description I've seen so far.

Tony
TonyK
TonyK

Number of posts : 653
Registration date : 2008-08-28

Back to top Go down

No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel Empty Re: No need to tell you who these guys are, who made them? Muldoon and Rowling salt and peppers by Orzel

Post  Thelma Fri 4 Feb - 21:03

Thanks Tony, you know I do remember reading that in the book but because there was no mention of salt and pepper sets, thought that they may have been something different. I have also just remembered that I have seen another set the same at the Southward Motor museum, in a huge collection of S & Ps they have there.
Thelma
Thelma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ev Sun 29 Sep - 17:37

Wooo hoooooo Bev Brown has confirmed that these were made by Orzel.

Thanks for posting them Thelma Very Happy
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17724
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Thelma Sun 29 Sep - 23:24

You are welcome. Very Happy
Thelma
Thelma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Ashford Wed 14 Apr - 15:44

I am awaiting the arrival of my own set of Bill and Rob P&S NIB as gifted by Sir Wallace (Bill) Rowling to his PA. I am pleased to hear that they were made by a reputable company!

The only two other references to this set that I have found on the net both say they “were produced by a subsidiary of Lion/NZ Breweries. They date from 1981.”

Journalist Phil McCarth tells us in his blog http://www.mccarthymc.co.nz/blog.html that they “featured in a 2009 exhibition called The Cabinet Makers in Wellington.” http://rudolfboelee.blogspot.com/2009/12/

The other person with a pair is MP Chris Bishop, who posted them on his fb page in 2016.

I did not even know what they were made of when I bid on them so I think I struck it lucky that they are even ceramic, let alone Orzel.

As for date I’d go for 1975, the year of the election when Muldoon ousted Rowling, although Rowling did remain party leader until ‘83.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Ev and Maryr like this post

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum