NEW ZEALAND POTTERY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» BS? Is anyone able to help please…
Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection EmptyToday at 16:06 by tabbyland

» The Ferret would like help with these marks please ...
Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection EmptyToday at 8:40 by Ev

» Large bowl with unknown mark.
Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection EmptyYesterday at 14:26 by kitsch

»  Who is F Cubbon ??
Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection EmptyYesterday at 13:43 by Ev

» Is this Irene Spiller?
Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection EmptyYesterday at 13:31 by Ev

» Neil Hay Christchurch
Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection EmptyYesterday at 13:03 by Ev

» Dave King
Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection EmptyYesterday at 12:55 by Ev

» Archlynn Ceramics Made In New Zealand
Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection EmptyYesterday at 9:24 by Ev

» NZ Potteries Wellington awesome Teapot !
Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection EmptyYesterday at 9:15 by Ev

Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection

2 posters

Go down

Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection Empty Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection

Post  Ev Sun 21 Nov - 20:59

Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection Edge_c10

and their mark ..
Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection Edge_c11
Ev
Ev
Admin

Number of posts : 17666
Interests: : NZ Studio Pottery and NZ Pottery History
Registration date : 2008-08-28

http://newzealandpottery.net

Back to top Go down

Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection Empty web address

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 9 Feb - 16:23

See Edge City at their website. Well worth a look. They are ceramic artists but have been running this shop for a couple of decades ++.
It's just around the corner from our place in Auckland but I haven't been in for years.

http://www.edgecity.co.nz/

The link on the bottom right image gives a great history.

---------
3/12/16

I think the website has changed since I wrote the above, so my direction to the history doesn't appear to apply now. Click on "Bios" instead. Brief update soon.
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection Empty Edge City revisited

Post  Jeremy Ashford Sun 4 Dec - 19:15

As I was driving back to Grey Lynn Saturday afternoon I finally remembered to drop in to Edge City in Garnet Road. Although I have been into their store previously it was a long long time ago and I was not a collector of pottery back then.

What an amazing experience. Chuck and Louise were reaching the end of their day, which was also the last day of Louise's "It's Complicated" exhibition, but both took the time to chat about their work and pottery collecting, including our joint good fortune in obtaining New Zealand works by US master potter Byron Temple.

I must return again at my next opportunity because there is so much fun stuff to look at. Many examples of their work can be seen on their website. With time running out I photographed just one item, a pair of mugs, which I will just have to covet for a while, until I decide if I can afford them.

The pair tick so many boxes for me. Since I have been collecting mugs I have developed a particular fondness for tripod mugs, for face mugs, and for nudie mugs, a la 1940s Los Angeles potter Dorothy Kindell.

I do have a few multiple legged mugs including works by Brendan Adams and Aaron Scythe. Although I left it too late (by one day!) to buy an Ande Barrett Hegan painted-face mug I do have one by Flora Christeller, and hope one day to see similar from John Crawford. As for the mugs with nude figures as handles, I have quite a few, mostly Japanese imitations but including one genuine Kindell.
Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection Edge10
"Clinging to the Edge", Louise Rive

Louise's pair of mugs are a couple, one male one female with sculpted complete figures for handles and painted faces as decoration on the bowls.

Website photographs tell me the Edge City shop is open on Fridays and Saturdays for limited hours so if you are tempted to make a visit it may pay to check that they will be open first.
---------
art@edgecitynz.com
---------
22/2/17
Chuck and Louise "are in Canberra on an ANU artist's residency for the next wee while and will be back in early April". Between (anticipated) proceeds from the Crown Lynn Garage sale and selling my late mother's English dinner set I should be able afford these but will just have to be patient now.
---------
17/4/17
They're MY mugs now !!!
(With no apologies to The League of Gentlemen.
---------
21/4/17
Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection Ve110
Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection Ve210
Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection Ve310

Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection Rive_l14Edge City Pottery [Louise Rive & Chuck Joseph] from sid's collection Rive_l15
Jeremy Ashford
Jeremy Ashford

Number of posts : 3193
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum